David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 7 May 2022

Head Scratching Moment

 As the more alert amongst you will readily recall I have undertaken an expansion of my F&IW collection as my new project, beginning with rebasing of my existing figures from single bases to multi- figure bases to match my SYW collections. That part of the project went seemlessly, but it did leave me many painted figures surplus to requirements at that stage. Not a problem really, extra figures ordered up from Redoubt Enterprises filled in the gaps and will allow the creation of a second line infantry regiment for each side.

Now, that's where the head scratching came in of course. I'm not one for keeping notes about painting and allied with that there have been changed in my approach and my use of colours in the intervening years. I have to try and paint the 'new' figures to match the 'old' as close as I can. For the 15th Foot who are now completed it's been less of a problem than I anticipated as the new additions were entirely confined to the rear rank! I think they are close enough 'to do' as Phil might say ~

For the French additions, just started by the by, it's a tad more difficult as 'new' figures will perforce be in both ranks to maintain the regular look for the second line infantry regiment. The first thing I noticed is that my approach to faces and hands is different now. I need to mix a lighter flesh highlight for these as the original Foundry triad light flesh colour is long gone; First World problems, eh? I've eleven figures to paint for this unit's part of the French expansion and hope to have them done by the middle of the month. The other French unit I've expanded is the Woodsmen with the addition of two bases planned next. As they are mostly clad in all shades of brown I hope that will be slightly easier to match up. I've not looked at their flesh style yet though...

When those are completed that should see me moving on to new additions entirely for both sides of the conflict, including my first Galloping Major figures. More as and when as usual!

17 comments:

  1. Well I certainly can't see the join, all is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. Since my painting never improves, you face an issue unknown to me.

      Delete
  2. They look disciplined and superb, cracking job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good David…
    I’ve written down the colours I use for a while… although the problem now is trying to remember which notebook has the list I want in it…
    Putting the colours up on the blog of course helps a lot…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd I've never organised myself on this. Can't explain why not, odd as I say.

      Delete
  4. They all look good to me, I can't see the join! Good luck with the French.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain! I've completed four French infantry so far and that makes three completed bases for the unit. So far they seem ok, to me at least.

      Delete
  5. Well I can't spot the difference David and when on the table, even less so. I have kept notes for some figures on the colour used, but not enough when the need arises for reinforcements. It doesn't help when the paint colours change slightly, as GW have done over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you are right about table distance SteveJ, I was just worrying unnecessarily if I'm honest. Progressing steadily with the extra French figures now.

      Delete
  6. Very nice work there Dave.... If the differences are that hard to spot, then they don't matter a jot!! They look fine to me, and I dare say even better in the flesh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. In the swing of things now with the French.

      Delete
  7. Very nice. Noting the colours is a good ploy, but I never do it either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Send for 'Nitty Nora' the Bug Explorer?

      Delete