David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Danish 12lbers

While I sorted out the missing/incorrect figures with Carol and Sam at Wargames Foundry I pressed on with painting two 12lb guns and crew figures for my small Danish contingent. To say that the colour combinations of the pieces and the gunners uniforms are garish is perhaps being mild, rather they evoke fairground rides in my mind. See what you think either way ~

One point of irritation with the packaging of the artillery crew figures might be of interest to readers. This venerable figure range predates the blistering of figures and clearly displays the weakness of the 'lump them in' approach, in that the eight figures' poses make it difficult to utilise all of them in two crews of four figures. I settled for one gun crew suggesting firing and the other suggesting repositioning after recoil from firing. The two figures left over I have combined with a spare sergeant figure for a third crew. I was going to order another 12lber from Foundry but I see Warfare Miniatures do a lovely period mortar, so I may order one of those, we shall have to wait and see where the muse leads me... 
In the meantime I've completed painting the figures for the first base of my third Danish infantry regiment. More on those will be shared with readers in due time of course. Meanwhile we are accommodating William and Emma for a couple of days so painting will slow to a snail's pace I expect... Not that I'm complaining I have to say!


No comments:

Post a Comment