David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 9 January 2024

Some Viking Mercenaries

In one of the 'Hail Caesar!' army lists I have seen for 'Late Saxons' a unit of Viking mercenary warriors is allowed, though they must be placed in their own Division and with their own general. I thought they would make a nice addition and so I bought two packs from Foundry at Partizan back in May last year. They went off to Phil/Olaf's Painting Service for painting sometime later and I duly forgot about them! On Tuesday last week when Phil arrived for our scheduled game he presented me with the finished figures. I've worked on basing them as and when, between painting Roosian Jaegers, finally finishing them last Friday!

There are three figures on the Command stand, two Foundry figures and a Footsore(?) Seer I picked up from Colonel Bill's. No doubt the latter would not fit to be seen close up if I had painted it? 

The remaining Viking figures I arranged in two ranks hoping to suggest a shield wall on the standard base size for the collection, 3mm Warbases 100x50mm bases. I'm confident you will agree that Phil has made a great job of painting them.

Just before Christmas I saw that Footsore were trailing a 2024 Kickstarter of 70 or so Vikings Matt has sculpted for them. I already have some of the Late Saxons he did for them, so I'll hope to add more Vikings at some point. He also did a few Mounted Saxons for them I've been eyeing up for a while now, so keep an eye out if the Conquest period floats your boat.

12 comments:

  1. Nice change of pace and a lovely job by Phil, a Viking mercenary division is an interesting prospect to those army lists and something that I neither knew about or would have considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice David, your sons Vikings will be a great addition to Footsore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you are right there George!

      Delete
  3. Gosh they look lovely and I've always had a soft spot for Vikings, ever since seeing that Kirk Douglas film:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That film has a lot to answer for I'd suspect for many wargamers.

      Delete
  4. Very nice indeed David…
    Phil has coloured them in rather well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does colouring in really well. If I win the Lottery I might try to buy his services exclusively. If...

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Phil made an excellent job of them, didn't he?

      Delete
  6. A wonderful addition to the collection, I'm sure anyone would be proud to have such fine quality units amongst their troops! Excellent work there by Phil, and of course, excellent basing to set them off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil certainly can splosh the old paint about!

      Delete