David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 25 January 2024

Handing on the Torch?

From almost time immemorial it seems there has been much handringing in the hobby press and on the internet on the matter of the 'greying of the hobby' and what might be done to bring new folk into what we all believe to be the best of passtimes. Well, I have quietly been doing my bit for the cause it seems with my second grandson William. Some of you will recall that he has featured on the blog before ~

At just a few months old here he was keen to get to grips with the little Mens!












As time went by William was a regular visitor into GHQ, exploring the draws and cupboards with enthusiasm. It seemed logical that in time he would want to play a game, and so the cowboys of New Paddock City were roped into action!





William is now 10 and increasingly well informed about the various games he has played in with grandad. I think his favourite is WWII, though usually he chooses the 28mm figures over the 20mm ones pictured here.
As last Christmas approached Ruth informed me that William had asked for some paints and figures of his own. It seems I may have nurtured a wargamer!
The first painting session after a few tips from grandad. William, ably assisted by Emma, tackles his first figures, Norman infantry from Crusader via North Star and paints from AKInteractive. And here they are ~
William of Oxley's Normans! Grandad helped him with the basing but otherwise all his own work! Pretty decent I thought for his first run out. Anyway, he must have the bug now as grandma has ordered him some Vikings! 

Not forgetting my other two grandsons, Arthur and Reuben. Both keen on the hobby, nurtured along by Matt of course! Looks like Hero Quest was the choice recently! Both nifty painters too.

So, I think I have done my bit. I sit back now and hope to enjoy the ride as I see where it takes them and me hopefully...



14 comments:

  1. Good job on keeping the hobby going through the generations David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done all I could I hope. Out of my hands now largely.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very generous and kind, much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. You have handed the baton over smoothly there by all accounts. Wills first efforts are first class too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, William is rightly proud of his Normans.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I thank you. How are the builders doing?

      Delete
  5. Good to see the youngsters following your good example…
    If only they could pass on some of their.’dice’ luck to us.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well great to see new blood so interested in the hobby and already doing some pretty good painting, obviously it's something in the genes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures there Dave, and so pleasing to see the next generation of wargamers and collectors developing nicely. Splended figures there from William, fit for any table! grandad's coaching has certainly paid off 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has made his first steps! Vikings are underway now!

      Delete