David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 1 January 2024

Off We Go Again!

I took a much needed break from painting figures over the Christmas-New Year period. What hobby time presented itself unchallenged I gave over to rebasing the British and Roosian cavalry from the returned Prodigal Foundry Collection. I started with the British Light Brigade for no other reason than their Command stand was already textured for me! There were ten figures for each component of the Brigade: Lancers, Light Dragoons and Hussars. I had originally intended to base the cavalry in pairs, but in the end I opted for two bases of three figures and two of two figures. So, "the gallant six hundred" take a bow ~

The Heavy Brigade's turn for rebasing came next. There I had two Heavy Dragoon regiments of nine and eleven figures and the Scots Greys of nine figures. I have no recollection of why it's like this; remember I painted these back in the early 1990's and I've been to bed since then as they say! As luck would have it the group of 11 Heavy Dragoons contained two officers and two buglers, so I could use those duplicates to make up a Command stand and be left with three regiments of three bases, each of three figures! Here they are then, the Heavy Brigade and Command ~

Remember now, these are not fit to be seen close up according to ol' Black Bottle Bill, so those of a nervous disposition should look away now!

After that effort it's back to the Roosians, a mere sixteen bases of figures to finish off! More on those in due course, in the meantime let me end this blog entry by wishing you all "A Happy New Year!"

12 comments:

  1. Happy new year David and good to see you are charging into 2024 at the gallop. The rebased figures look good to me 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt! Happy New Year to you also.

      Delete
  2. They look most resplendent in their new bases, well done Sir! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent look to all the units with their new bases. I've gone to the lead pile in the past and wondered exactly how I'd intended basing units, having lost my 'notes', so had to start from scratch: not ideal for sure. Happy New Year to you and yours David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ, I guessed I wouldn't be the only one... Happy New Year to you and yours too!

      Delete
  4. Nice to get a bit of re-basing done, it always feels like a lot of headway is made in a short space of time. Yesterday I was reading about the Charge of the Light Brigade, in Saul David’s book ‘Military Blunders’. Things there that I hadn’t appreciated. Best Wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Norm, suddenly the collection expands. Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  5. Excellent painting and superb basing,as always.
    Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that endorsement Andy! Happy New Year to you and yours also.

      Delete
  6. The figures look perfectly fine to me, and as we've come to expect, the basing is splended! Sets them off a treat! Enjoying watching yet another wonderful collection coming together..... Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete