David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 30 May 2020

Some of my favourite games

I’ve been feeling increasingly nostalgic as the days of this tedious Coronavirus lockdown malarkey have dragged on. I don’t have any inclination for solo gaming, as I’ve said before, but I do enjoy looking at past games we’ve played in GHQ. With that in mind I’ve assembled a few of my favourite images which I hope you will enjoy as much as I have ~
Howard ville, USA 1920's gangster mayhem.
FRW from Wargames Illustrated photo shoot day.

Victoriana, the experimental undersea boat, Sea Dragon, on her secret trials!
Adventures in 1920's Rhanzlistan, again featured in Wargames Illustrated.


Indian Mutiny with my own The Devil's Wind ruleset.

Zulus! Quite a lot of them!

Chief Bykelezi m'Tubbi, never victorious, yet!
VBCW, again featured in Wargames Illustrated.
The War of 1812-15, featured in WI Bitesize #3 and destined for the hard copy when it re-emerges.
The Sudan War using both A Good Dusting and Black Powder.
The ECW, from the cover photoshoot for A Crowning Mercy.
Somewhere in Normandy, 1944...
The early Italian Wars, from another Wargames Illustrated photoshoot.
The ACW, my favourite wargames setting down the years!
Hovels resin buildings, still going strong and great value for money.
A Rhanzlistan photoshoot day for Wargames Illustrated.
The Rebs step off, once more, under Jubal E Bykleigh!
Still somewhere in Normandy 1944, but the good guys as William calls them!
The SYW, probably the most colourful period to game in.
Late Roman internecine wars, Pompus Maximus and Baldinus tussle for the Imperial purple.
Ol' US Bykleigh takes command once more. On to Glory, or not...!

18 comments:

  1. Some really lovely wee sojers there David, very high standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George! Sign of a lot of wasted time I fear though...

      Delete
  2. Difficult to see any light at the end of tunnel, but pics like these help one through. Good show old chap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light? None here sadly, but I try to remain positive.

      Delete
  3. A splendid variety of games David...
    I don’t feel such a butterfly looking your collection 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly! Remember, you are but a lava at this stage, plenty of time yet to flutter by!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful collection OG wargaming memories David....every image here is outstanding...you are a fortunate man! I hope you have/had a good seventieth birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you rross, as birthdays go it's not up with the best, but in the circumstances...

      Delete
  5. A great collection Dave...providing insperation and hope to us all. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, I'm pleased you have enjoyed a visit to GHQ.

      Delete
  6. Splendid! I look forward to pushing them around again ....some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some very lovely shots David of splendid looking games. It goes to show what a varied set of collections you have hidden away. Thankfully I don’t need to pick a favourite 👍 as Phil would say KBO this lockdown can’t go on for ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! I hope you are right about this lockdown, it's beyond tedious now!

      Delete