David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 20 May 2020

What's in a name?

We wargamers are fond of giving our generals names, often verging on the silly, but more commonly amusing I find. I am no exception to this trend, as various iterations of my name on this blog can testify. When it came to giving a name to my Republican Roman general it was clear this approach wouldn't serve. With much of our hobby, not to mention real life, on hold there seemed to me only one option. He will be known as Coronus Cunctator, or Coronus the Delayer, giving a nod to both current events and classical history!
The figure painting is underway and I have completed two bases of allied levy skirmishers, eight figures in total ~


I should  say here that in GHQ Phil, Jon and I play our occasional Ancients game using our in-house version of Neil Thomas' Ancient and Medieval Rules. For this a single base can represent a unit enabling games to be played once the two parts of the collection reach eight bases of figures. The bases are from Warbases and are 80x50mm, with each of the three elements of the legion also having an officer, standard and musician on a 40x50mm base. In addition, the legion has its own command base mounted on a 40mm round.

12 comments:

  1. Well the project is up and running already...........a good name I have certain been fighting several Lt Corona’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All basics on a mounted sub general today and four Legionary figures stuck to MDF hexes for painting next.

      Delete
  2. Your off to a fine start David...
    Lovely looking toys indeed... and a fine choice of name....


    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant entry to the project, onward!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see more Romans, cannot ever have enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough? Not in the vocabulary of most wargamers in my experience!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement Ray.

      Delete
  6. Another new project! If they ever let you out again they can face my pikes & elephants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they don't let me out soon I shall begin a tunnel. Granted, a rather wide one!

      Delete