David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 12 August 2021

Plaaastic? Moi? Surely not?

This post may come as a bit of a surprise to some...

In the days before we knew of the novel coronavirus from China Matt challenged me to choose a new project outside my comfort zone! I think most readers will recall that I chose to venture into the, thankfully imaginary, Cold War Gone Hot in 15mm. I acquired a starting force of Battlefront's Team Yankee vehicles and figures and promptly got cold feet for the Cold War! I even tried unsuccessfully to sell them on via Jon's good efforts! So, having completed two 28mm projects in the 20 months or so since, I've finally bitten the bullet and assembled the vehicles for my B.A.O.R., and here  are the first I did resting on a 100x50x3mm base from Warbases ~




It will, I'm confident, amuse those gifted modellers amongst you to know that these quite basic kits are at the extreme limit of my limited modelling skills, but as an exercise in seeing if I could manage it has proved useful in that they appear to look as they should from the box art work!  (As an aside, my brother in law Vic served with R.E.M.E. and was based at Celle for several years. When we visited them on one occasion I was briefly detained at the base's checkpoint as some local was taking pot shots at it from the woods!) Back on track, I'm in negotiations with Phil to have the basic colours airbrushed on to the vehicles for me, as his WWII vehicles done that way are inspirational in my view. I can then do any necessary finishing for myself.

As to games, well, they are a good way off obviously so I've not settled on things like basing yet though I have bought Great Escape Games' Seven Days to the Rhine and downloaded the RF expansion Able Archer to give me something to think on. More on this and other related areas as and when as they say...

30 comments:

  1. I feel the metal gods of wargaming crashing down around me ! Having said that they look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's rocked the very foundations of existence...On a serious note the kits go together really well. I did two T72s this morning in 10 minutes.

      Delete
  2. They look good David - great to see you taking up a new challenge! BTW its BAOR (British Army of the Rhine ) Not BOAR.....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good kits and if anything like the Zvezda ones, are very easy to assemble. I've never based my vehicles, other than 6mm ones as they are too small to leave unbased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kits are idiot proof. This idiot is proof of that. They are just resting on the bases for now.

      Delete
  4. It's the end of days⚡☄️🌑

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is merely the end of the beginning...KBO.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think you may have spent too much time out in the mid-day sun Mr.B.

      Delete
    2. Sun? Remind me please...🌧️☔🌧️☔

      Delete
  6. I probably could have sold them at 70% off RRP and free postage ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On reflection they would have needed to be painted to "collectors standard" as well.

      Delete
    2. That alone ruled me out...🎨🖌️

      Delete
  7. Nice,of course Perry make the best plastic kits...!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup!…
    I’m with Phil here… we are indeed living in strange times.. next thing, you will be buying….. Elves 😬😳😱.

    That said… I am interested to see your take on this…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space Fairies and Gnomes? Why not? If Boris can be PM I can buy plastic kits. The world's gone barmy!!!!

      Delete
  9. I like the look of the 7D to the Rhine rules, but do check out the errata download at Great Escape Games, as there are quire a few vehicle stats adjusted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Norm. Not got that far in my thinking yet. Tackling the kits is enough right now.

      Delete
  10. My very best wishes to you David on this new project.
    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve a few hundred of these to plough through at some point. Nice work and yes the kits are pretty good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few hundred? I'm impressed as a couple of dozen seems a mountain to me...🏔️

      Delete
    2. Put it down to lockdown madness 😂

      Delete
    3. This 'lockdown' malarky has much to answer for re hobby purchases I'd guess.

      Delete
  12. I remember reading the book and have an excellent WWIII boardgame but that’s as far I ever went in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually enjoyed making the kits so far. I did find some of the all parts on the Soviet tanks and APCs almost too much for eye & hand but I persevered.

      Delete