David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 24 May 2020

Table dressing...

Sometimes, when my motivation to paint multiple figures for a unit flags, I’ve found it refreshing to embark on small projects within a game genre of a non combat variety. These have multiple purposes within a game from mere table dressing, through markers, to victory objectives in a scenario. While I plough on painting my Republican Romans here are a some of the ephemera I’ve added over the years ~








This coronavirus malarkey has certainly made me reflect on what is important in my hobby life and it's no surprise that it's my friends above everything else. Keeping in touch as a deaf person precludes the phone, on screen chats and tech-aided remote games, so I get by with text conversations mostly. In the meantime, I look forward to entertaining my chums in GHQ sooner rather than later! In the big wide world out there, keep well and safe all of you!

24 comments:

  1. Some excellent pieces there David. Stay safe and fingers crossed we'll be back to normal soonish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ! Normal can't come soon enough for me!!

      Delete
  2. I do like this kind of vignette, thanks for sharing David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, I may post others in due course.

      Delete
  3. You cannot beat stuff like this to bring a table alive, I see you he deaf geese have returned to the fold🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deaf geese matching their owner I suspect.

      Delete
  4. Some splendid stuff there David, as I wade through my first AWI militia unit which seems hard work as every figure is different I have allowed myself to be side tracked by terrain building hopefully adding another ACW style house to my collection. Obviously we are still managing a few virtual games here in the dungeon and I have another one to share later today 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I look forward to seeing your game later, always a pleasure to peek into the dungeon.

      Delete
  5. I always admire your ability to surprise with your scatter terrain, something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I just have too much time and nothing better to fill it with?

      Delete
  6. Some great pieces here, it's the little things that make most tables.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your view there Stuart S on the making of the table top battlefield.

      Delete
  7. Some lovely table eye candy David...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some excellent table dressings you have created over time!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased you liked them Christopher.

      Delete
  9. A group of great table enhancements there, David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Gonsalvo, appreciate your support.

      Delete
  10. I’m loving the theme of ‘chaps with maps’ running through some of the pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are probably more but I couldn't find the photos!

      Delete
  11. Lovely collection of ephemera! Splendid looking vignettes that really add to the table, your Romans are looking good too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. More wonderful work here David. The coronavirus is certainly a huge interruption to our normal lives, although here in New Zealand we seem to have cracked it and things are about 90% back to normal....bad economic times are coming though, think 1980 under Mrs T or even the 1930's possibly....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange and unwelcome times ahead I fear.

      Delete