David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 20 April 2024

The Crimean War Project Progress Report 1

With the mustering in of the Cameron Highlanders I thought I'd take the opportunity to review the figures I have painted for the project in the current cycle, starting of course with the British army. So, to recap; the figures from the Prodigal Foundry Collection are not included in this review, just those I have painted from the offset in late June last year. The figures are from the Great War Miniatures range, the flags are from North Star and the bases from Warbases, just in case anyone has missed that! I organised the figure painting around the flag sheets, starting with the three Guards battalions of the First Brigade, the First Division, and then moving on to the Second Brigade of the Division. Not forgetting the Rifles either!






The second Division I'd decided to work on was the Highland Division. Painting kilts is a mix of masochism and ecstacy, a test not only of your skill but your resolve too. So far the Division comprises two kilted Highland regiments, the 79th Cameron Highlanders and 93rd Sutherland Highlanders, together with the First and Second battalions of the 1st, the Royal Scots. I have one unit in the old Lead Pimple still for this formation in the shape of the 90th, the Perthshire Volunteers but still have to purchase their flag!






In all that's eleven battalions of infantry painted so far! In addition of course there is a battery of the Royal Artillery alongside various Command stands and extras, even a fripary! 












This pretty much makes up my intended collection, to fight the new collection of Roosians which will feature in Part 2. I may even achieve my stated ambition of adapting Soldiers of Napoleon despite having jumped in to Black Powder for the early games. 

For those who like to know these things there are two other British infantry regiments still in the Lead Pimple besides the 90th. There are the 7th, the Royal Fusiliers and the Earl of Ulster's regiment, the latter also needing a flag sheet to be purchased. Thankfully though there are no more Roosian infantry!



22 comments:

  1. A job well done there Sir! Most splendiferous indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will do then I surmise? Your encouragement is very welcome as ever, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Having had the privilege of seeing, and playing with this marvelous collection, I can vouch for how impressive they really are, in the flesh so to speak! A fine achievement indeed, and well worth all of the "masochism and ecstacy" I would suggest. Well done that man! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photography not my strong suite I freely confess, but I'm glad folk who have seen them first hand in GHQ have found them to be nice. Thanks for the endorsement Paul!

      Delete
  3. Superb parade of your collection, very impressive work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent and inspiring collection David.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very handsome force! I take the mounted chap in the dark blue pelisse and red cap is the ill-fated Captain Nolan?

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Stokes, thanks! Yes, you have spotted Nolan.

      Delete
  6. A lovely parade of troops David! Bravo!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher. Roosians to feature also in due course.

      Delete
  7. A good showing for her Majesty, Gor bless 'er.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen! I wonder if she is amused...?

      Delete
  8. A splendid parade David…
    And creating at an impressive pace…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly, though the pace seems glacial at this end... If my arithmetic is correct that's 296 pieces in the British part of the Crimean War project.

      Delete
  9. An outstanding collection,put together in such a short time.
    Very impressive and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind Andy, many thanks for your enthusiastic support. I have to say though it seems more like an eternity at my end! On a positive note to end, the Roosians' 4th Jaeger battalion are just awaiting grass 'n tufting later this evening!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful collection David I can’t believe you have managed to get the forces to the size they are, perseverance I guess works wonders 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A touch of OCD helps me along I think! Rescued you from Spam again by the way.

      Delete
  11. A fine body of men there Sir!

    ReplyDelete