David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 1 July 2024

The Look of the Game

One of the advantages of having a permanent wargames room and table is the simple fact that you are not usually as rushed in setting up or taking down games as you would be on most typical club games night. A simple knock on effect of that is the ability to model and paint game ephemera, put simply that results in the creation of interesting fripperies which just add to the look and feel of the tabletop battlefield. The 'look of the game' matters to those of us who game under the loose GHQ Irregulars banner, creating points of interest be they figures, equipment, vehicles or buildings. I've already shown a few of these from my Crimean War project on earlier blog posts, so the fact that I've added some more should not come as a surprise to any regular reader.

By now you might well be wondering where the figures were sourced. Well, if you follow the Lead Adventures Forum in the Age of the Big Battalions subsection you may have seen that last year Eureka Miniatures in Australia acquired the rights to a new range of Crimean War era figures from a Russian designer. With the Eastern European unpleasantness intruding the range has sadly been in an hiatus since. Having seen via the internet that Nic had cast some Uhlans for a fellow gamer I thought I'd take a chance and enquire if I might acquire some figures also. Very kindly Nic sent me a provisional pack list, quite an extensive one if I'm honest. I decided to choose a few dismounted Cossack Scouts, Casualties, and a Dressing Station set. Mixing the latter two sets has produced three bases of figures to populate a Roosian Field Dressing Station ~

The figures include two orthodox nuns in a nursing role, medical orderlies and a number of casualties in different stages of treatment or recovery. {On a related point, there was also a Hospital pack but no indication of what it might include, but I was sorely tempted...} The figures turned out to be straightforward to paint, though somewhat more delicate in sculpting style than the robust Great War Miniatures, Warlord Games and Foundry figures in my collection. The Cossack Scouts though look much more solid and have given me less trouble now they have come under the brush. They will feature in a forthcoming blog post in due course 

18 comments:

  1. A splendid set, equally rendered to produce three fine tabletop vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely little vignettes, they do certainly add a certain something to a table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all appreciate those little vignettes and terrain details you add to your games David. So unsurprisingly very happy to see these painted and look forward to seeing them grace your table:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they will not have to wait too long.

      Delete
  4. An excellent trio of vignettes. Very well painted and based.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice addition - I particularly like the inclusion of the nuns. There are a few Orthodox priest figures but these are the first Russian nuns I've seen.
    Thanks as always,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen. Glad the nuns have been recognised.

      Delete
  6. Splendid stuff indeed David….
    These chaps have turned out really and will certainly add interest to the table….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly, your support is always very welcome.

      Delete
  7. The vignettes really do add an extra atmosphere to a games table and these a fine example of that.
    Even though I can leave my game on the table after finishing I tend to put it away right after playing. Maybe I'm compulsive....

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I agree with you Christopher about adding to the game's atmosphere! I think it is an age thing with me now, too tired after a game to bother. D-Day is still out on the table on GHQ, much to William's delight I have to say

      Delete