David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 13 July 2023

"The Guards will advance!"

 Albeit rather sedately in the case of my second Guards regiment for the Crimean War project, the Coldstream Guards. With lots all of a sudden going on in real life painting has taken a bit of a back seat temporarily, hopefully though the disruption will only be short lived and normal service can be resumed.

Amidst all that I have managed to finish the first base of Coldstream Guards, along with a command figure base for the Guards Brigade. These are Great Wars Miniatures of course, sculpted by Aly Morrison and Dave Andrews and retailed by North Star ~


I have the next four Guardsmen almost completed now, along with a test figure for the Roosians. Hopefully it won't be too long now before I can show you the finished Coldstream Guards regiment and then move forward on some Roosians. 


16 comments:

  1. Very sharp looking guardsmen. Summer is a busy time for many of us in the Northern Hemisphere. My painting has almost ground to a halt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I paint pretty much at the same steady pace most of the year, aiming for 2 figures a day, a target I seldom seem to attain though.

      Delete
  2. The combo of red and bearskin makes for such an eye-catching figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer them to the Line versions, too much lace and faff by comparison.

      Delete
  3. A very fine base of men, Nulli Secundus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice troops. I aim for an hour a day but usually miss a couple, I notice the pain in my hand is back very quickly after my break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An hour a day seems like about right, on reflection I probably don't manage much more many days myself.

      Delete
  5. Another fine set of figures there David and nice not to have to paint all the fancy lace and facings! I find if I can paint an hour a day, I'm doing well. Sometimes more if split over a few sessions but anything more than that and it feels a chore, plus my bad arm and shaky hand don't like it:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks once again SteveJ, much appreciated. If painting feels like a chore I generally walk away and leave it to another day.

      Delete
  6. A very nice turn-out there Dave! Very smart. Lovely command figure! You can't keep putting off the lace forever... you'll have to take the plunge sooner or later 😵‍💫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roosians next Paul, lace still down the line...

      Delete
  7. A very formidable body of men.
    Excellent basing,as always.
    It will be great to see the Ruskies make an appearance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy! One Roosian test figure is finished actually.

      Delete