David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 10 July 2023

In praise of friends in our wonderful hobby.

The photographs which accompany this blog entry are important to what I want to reflect on so please don't be too hard on me for featuring only a part of a regiment here. The thing is I didn't pay for any of these figures, they were gifted to me by Colin and Phil ~

They will form the first of three bases of the 1st, the Royal Scots in what will down the line someway be my Highland Division. The officer I think was a Partizan freebie which Phil had kept safe all these years and the rankers are Great War Miniatures, one part of a parcel of figures Colin generously sent me. As in my opinion one should always receive any gift graciously I integrated these into my painting schedule alongside the Coldstream Guards while at the same time shooting off an order to North Star for the figures to make up the other two bases. The GWM's figures had been partially painted so I plopped them in the old Dettol bath for a few days. I don't know what they had been painted with but it didn't budge even a flake of paint! Mind, I have the most sterile figures in the hobby I'd think now! So I simply set to and overpainted them to match the rest of my 'style'! Of course in overpainting the figures inevitably lost some of their sharpness, but overall I'm satisfied with the outcome. At gaming distance on the tabletop battlefield they'll not be noticed anyway!

Now, in the past few months I've received gifts of figures from other friend as well - you may recall Jon's Foundry SYW British cavalry figures which I made up into my Hanoverian contingent for example - all evidence of the great spirit of community and mutual help and support which runs right through our wonderful hobby. I just thought that this needed saying, so I hope you'll indulge me here.

For any reader who has ventured this far without dying of boredom and is curious about the rest of Colin's parcel, well, here is a summary: a unit of GWM Russian Dragoons; two Warlord Games Russian 12lb guns & crews; several Warlord Games British infantry; a handful of Foundry Russians. I'd like to imagine that I can make good use of most of these as the Roosian force cross the painting desk here in GHQ in due course.

20 comments:

  1. You're quite right our hobby has some good people in it. I'm painting some guns that were a gift alongside a figure I've had waiting nearly 20 years in the queue.
    The people we meet alongside the sheer variety of things we can do that are relevant to the hobby make it the best of holidays. May you long enjoy it and thanks for sharing your photos - that's a gift to the community too.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes and encouragement Stephen. Let's hope we all continue to enjoy what we do and who we do it with in this splendid hobby.

      Delete
  2. that should have said best of hobbies nevertheless......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had worked that out, but thanks Stephen.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful friends and a wonderful hobby! What more could one want? Lovely figures all painted up and thanks for showcasing them:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What more? Have you got an hour to spare?😉

      Delete
  4. It is indeed a grand old hobby, those over paints will meld in well I think. I recall the figure was free with WI at Salute when Aly and Dave put iyn their Crimean War game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know it was from Salute, nor that Aly & Dave did a game there. Age! Memory! What was I saying...?

      Delete
    2. A Crimean game was put on at Salute… but not by David and me…
      Your memory is better than you thought 😁

      Delete
    3. I am chuffed to discover I was right!

      Delete
  5. Another fine looking base there Dave, and all the more valuable considering the acquisition of the figures! well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am plodding along, but the finish line is very distant.

      Delete
  6. From my experience, wargamers tend to be a generous and helpful lot. Great looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan, though I have encountered the odd exception sadly

      Delete
  7. I agree, a lot of good people in this hobby, counting yourself David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having been on the receiving end of a kindly donation, I must say we have a hobby of good people and our bloggy corner of the internet universe is a most pleasant place to inhabit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Norm, it is a pleasant spot on the whole.

      Delete
  9. Our hobby is indeed home to many lovely people generous with their time, knowledge and toys…
    My collection has benefited a number of times by surprise packages in the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more of this sort of news to be loudly broadcast.

      Delete