David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 2 July 2023

Wittering On...

A visit to Hay-on-Wye, Britain's premier second hand book town, is seldom made without a purchase or three festuring. Visiting Matt and his family for a long weekend now always seems to open with a visit to nearby Hay. Our most recent visit was no exception to this emerging tradition. I don't like to pay over the odds for second hand books, I'm no antiquarian book collector after all. I was looking for a couple of Ospreys on the Crimean War and was pleased to get the two for £8. In addition I picked up a history of the war's main events for another £5, mainly for the maps and orders of battle. General interest you might label that I think ~


On a different tack now: I enjoy writing for Wargames Illustrated when I can and honestly derive an almost childlike pleasure seeing anything of mine in print. I always offer my pieces in the hope that it might encourage someone else to take up the challenge as well as simply putting something back into our marvellous hobby. As an aside you'll not get rich doing this as a consideration of time spent versus payment received leaves you well short of even the National Minimum Wage. But then noone does it for that reason I'd suggest, but for putting something back and encouraging others to have a go. Anyway, the latest issue of Wargames Illustrated contains two of my offerings, a little piece on fitting out the interiors of Western buildings and a longer piece reviewing my SYW project ~

I've completed and submitted a third piece recently which if accepted I'd hope would feature in an autumn issue of the magazine along with the appropriate photographs to support the content. It's great fun putting a piece together and seeing it in print for others to perhaps enjoy. I'd recommend giving it a go if you've something to offer, after all Dan can only use what our fellow hobby enthusiasts send in. {I'd hazard the same is true of the hobby's other two magazines too by the way if somehow they are more your cup of tea.}


18 comments:

  1. A few good topical finds and congratulations on your continued WI publishing success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! Ospreys already referenced in GHQ.

      Delete
  2. Some fine book sniffing there BSP. Nice to see you are in print again too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am but a humble BSP 2nd Class besides the Master...😉

      Delete
  3. Excellent value for money on the books.
    I normally stay away from the mainstream hobby mags,but this month I'm sure I'll make an exception

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good man! You may even enjoy the magazine!

      Delete
  4. The research aspect of the hobby is certainly as rewarding as other aspects in my view Dave, and adds to the enjoyment of creating more accurately represented models... so money well spent sir! All part of an enjoyable weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A grand weekend! Ospreys pretty much entry level research, but have their uses.

      Delete
    2. I just like looking at the pictures...

      Delete
    3. Yes, I can agree with that on balance.

      Delete
  5. I have not been to Ross on Wye for thirty years but seems like the bargains are still available from the prices you paid for these three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been to Ross-on-Wye since I was 18, I think you meant Hay though...

      Delete
  6. Very good buys there David and I too don't like to pay over the odds for books, new or second hand. Good to see you still getting stuff into print and I have pondered penning something, but real life seems to get in the way or my attention moves onto something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't put off writing something for any of the magazines, every piece brings something to someone somewhere in our wonderful hobby.

      Delete
  7. Excellent purchases David…
    It’s been a while for me but I do enjoy a visit to Hay-on-Wye… I’ve never returned empty handed.
    I read both yours articles old chap… and thoroughly enjoyed them.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, much appreciated as ever. Almost finished the Scots Fusilier Guards now!

      Delete
  8. More useful books David…..and well done for keeping up the writing. I just never seem to have the time ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, much appreciated. Of course it does take time, but for me it's a part of my hobby so I generally find it easy to make time in my schedule for the writing element.

      Delete