David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 29 July 2023

Roosian infantry expanding

 In more ways than one, but more on that in due course. Firstly though, the second base of infantry for my first Roosian infantry battalion are now completed. These have taken me longer than I hoped largely due to two figures deciding to pop off their 'painting hexes' and needing to be reglued. The PVA seemed to take an age to harden off as it was a humid morning. They are finished now though, so here they are ~

As before I've added a from above shot of the base and another of the two bases together to give a sense of the three rank appearance ~

Now, when coming to address the matter of the second source of expansion I'm almost lost for words. Jon came by on Friday morning and unexpectedly returned my original Foundry Crimean War collection which I had traded for a 15mm Peninsular War collection back in the midst of time. That the trade had not concluded in no way reflects on Jon's integrity, simply put he and I were the victims of circumstances beyond our control. I now have potentially a larger Crimean War collection than I'd banked on. More on this later in the week.

14 comments:

  1. Nice! Having your Crimean War collection return must be a big boost to the mustering-out lead time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Jonathan, but where can I store it is my obvious concern.

      Delete
  2. Coming along finely there, and reinforcements arriving too, there's an unexpected top up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely units there David and the flags make a nice contrast to the drab uniforms of the line infantry. A nice surprise to receive your Crimean troops back from Jon and hope the storage isn't too much of an issue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ, much appreciated. I am still thinking on both retention and storage.

      Delete
  4. Another nice looking stand of Russians David…
    And getting your old collection back… Wow.
    That’s certainly going to help get armies on the table…
    Will this see you joining me on a great rebasing/reflagging project of your own.
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so unexpected, but I'm sure I'll sort it out and adapt. Rebasing, yes, reflagging, mostly been done already by Jon.

      Delete
  5. Impressive looking regiments. And with the Crimean War you can never have enough Russia infantry.

    Looking forward to hearing more about the return of your old army.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Russians are excellent.
    Great news about your collection being returned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy! Lots of rebasing though down the line.

      Delete
  7. Very nice job there Dave, great blend of colours! They really look the part.

    ReplyDelete