David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 20 July 2023

"Roosians!

 Two of 'em!" Alongside the Coldstream Guards I've been splashing paint on two figures from the Roosian hordes as test pieces. Mainly for the colours I've chosen for greatcoats and for caps. I based my choice on reenactment photographs from a group seemingly based in the Crimea. I also confess to using photographs of other Gamers' 28mm miniatures too ~

The mounted officer will be in the centre of the command base of the 1st Battalion of the first Regiment I shall represent. I chose him as the test piece for the second figure as I wanted to try the grey greatcoat look and the Forest Green I chose in preference to Foundry's Russian Green, which I think too dark in 28mm. I have however acquired a Triad of them on loan from Phil so I may try out that on another figure for comparison. I'll need it later anyway for my Rifle Brigade figures. 

As an added bonus if you've got this far here's a sample 79th Highland infantry officer ~

I estimate that these will take up to twice as long per figure as other British infantry figures do. We shall see down the line though...

14 comments:

  1. Looking fine and dandy there Mr. Bikkliski.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff,you've gotta love a Russian in a picklehaube.
    That tartan looks pretty good too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, tartan needs a sharper brush point to my eye.

      Delete
  3. The Roosians look nice and 'drab' in comparison to our brave boys in scarlet, which should make for a good contrast when on the table. Hats off to you for attempting tartan, which you've done an excellent job on. I just don't have the will to try this in 10mm which is why I probably avoid fielding Scottish units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ! I've painted several Jock units in my time, I find the best approach to kilts is suggestive rather than detailed as they'll only be seen from in-game distance in real life.

      Delete
  4. Splendid work, David! I don’t have many GWM’s figures in my collection but I do have some of these Russians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, your support is always welcomed here.

      Delete
  5. Looking good David…
    Your Russian greatcoat is pretty close to one of the colours on my figures…
    I’ve varied the shade of brown grey within the units to try and reflect that they are from different batches of material or just newer…
    Looking forward to seeing the first unit finished.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, always glad of your positive thoughts. I'm using the Foundry Butternut, British Army Brown and Stone triads for my greatcoats.

      Delete
  6. Fine looking fellows there... the contrast of the grey and green on the mounted officer works splendidly, and the jock tarten looks excellent! Well done.

    ReplyDelete