David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 20 April 2023

The Normans are underway.

I've had a bit of a break from rebasing after finishing off the Saxons. I've been painting my first Crusader Miniatures SYW infantry, Prussian figures for the Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel regiment von Behr. Suitably recharged I've set about rebasing the Normans now for my 1066 & All That project. I started with the mounted knights and three Command stands as Phil has just completed painting the extra figures I'd recently bought. So far I have six units/bases of mounted knights finished along with the three Command stands so I thought I'd give them an airing here ~

The six units/bases of mounted Norman knights will make up the backbone of the three divisions.
'William the B*stard' shows his face to his men!
Odo, William's half-brother, Bishop of Bayeux and later Earl of Kent with his trusty club!
Phillip de Rawnslie, Count de Dycé, with his Swift banner leads the Breton contingent in William's force.

With the exception of one Gripping Beast figure, which I bought back in the day on a visit to their Evesham HQ, all the figures are from Wargames Foundry and were sculpted, like my Saxons, by Matt. The bases are from Warbases as ever. Next up for rebasing should be some dismounted knights, archers and crossbowmen. I'm girding my loins slowly for this phase...


12 comments:

  1. A lot more pleasing to the eye on their new bases. Though I doubt Harold would agree👁️

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like they are charging over the field. Wonderful!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased with the look, glad to have your endorsement.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure Harald Bikersson will be keeping his eye on this evolving horde.... looking splended on their new bases. Another wonderful collection coming together here very nicely.... great joint effort, well done both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've textured the bases of three more Norman units along with some skirmishers.

      Delete
  4. Oh my they do look lovely and as eveyone had said, the new basing is working a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larger diorama style bases seem to suit Ancient and Medieval collections in my experience.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work David, and nice figures, I am still rooting for the Saxons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the Saxon player in our games I welcome your support!

      Delete
  6. As much as I loathe rebasing, the final product looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not exactly keen myself! Glad you like the finished bases too.

      Delete