David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 15 April 2023

Saxons for 1066

The Saxon force for my 1066 & All That project are all completed and rebased according to our new plan. All of the figures we sculpted by my son Matthew, the right Division's general base of three figures for Footsore, the rest for Wargames Foundry.  I had to add two new foot units/bases, of Warriors with spears and of Thegns, together with three new bases of skirmishers and two more mounted Warriors to make up a base. For now that allows the Saxons three divisions of four units with skirmishers and generals ~

The whole Saxon force drawn up into three Divisions.
On the left, Thegns supported by mounted Warriors and Medium Archers, with bow armed skirmishers to their front.
In the centre, Harald Bikersson's Hearth Guard supported by Warriors with spears.
On the left, Ceorls supported by Medium Archers, with javelin armed skirmishers to their front.

Next I have to set to and begin rebasing the Norman force in similar style. Phil has got more knights underway for me so I'll probably start with the mounted elements of the Normans. He also has some armoured archers ready to paint and I've infantry in mail still to clean up and spray undercoat. I think it's fair to say it will be a few weeks until the Normans match the Saxons on the tabletop battlefield. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

18 comments:

  1. A plan well executed there Mr. B. Norman knights progressing well here so stand by for more basing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking Saxon army David! Looking forward to the coming battles.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Christopher, just not so much the rebasing.

      Delete
    2. I'm in the middle of re-basing one collection, but I have some other collections in need of re-basing, however I just can't muster up the resolve yet.

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. Great to see the force all deployed David and the new basing system does work a treat. I now am considering sabot bases for mine to allow for speedier movement during the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will help with storage as well as on table movement.

      Delete
  4. Really interesting project for me and how nice to have sculpts made by your son - splendid all round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An impressive bit of rebasing David…
    Not a job that many people would love but now it is done it has reinvigorated your collection.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly, just the Normans to process now...

      Delete
  6. Lovely stuff, I must put my biography of Harold to the front of my reading list, a present from my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply lovely David. A fine collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A splended looking force there Dave...Harald Bikersson looks very stately in all of his finery! Looking forward to seeing them in action....

    ReplyDelete