David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 10 April 2023

Progress, of a kind anyway.

As I'm sure my loyal reader will recall I've set out to rebase, again, my 1066 & All That collection to play small Hail Caesar games here in GHQ. I started with the Saxon force as you know, needing to add new figures to the collection to get up to the number of bases/units Phil and I had decided on to play the game. I thought you might like to see how it's all progressing to date ~

A base/unit of Huscarls with Dane Axe.
A base/unit of Thegns.
A quick shot of the halfway stage in the rebasing project. Six bases/units of Saxons, three command stands and three bases of bow armed skirmishers.

Today I finished off these three bases of Saxon skirmishers with spears/ javelins.
 
I've also completed the two bases/units of Saxon Medium Archers. 
That leaves me with three bases/units of Ceorls and a base of Mounted Warriors to complete the Saxons for now. I'm painting the last two Mounted Warriors at present, so I'd hope to have it all done this week. Then it's on to the Normans!


12 comments:

  1. Excellent progress on the rebasing, I think they look much better now, the lighter base colour particularly lifts the figures immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I have to agree about the lighter bases.

      Delete
  2. Go Harold! Nice troops and basing David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are coming along nicely David…
    Clearly worth the effort.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like great progress to me!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems slow at this end though Christopher.

      Delete
  5. These are all progressing rather nicely and the new basing certainly works a treat. Looking forward to seeing the Normans as and when time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming along very nicely there Dave. Nice to see this period getting the attention it deserves. Very nice looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm putting off starting the Normans for now while Phil paints a few more.

      Delete