David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 20 December 2021

"Some talk of Alexander...


 ...and some of Hercules 

Of Hector and Lysander, and such great names as these.

But of all the world's brave heroes, there's none that can compare.
With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, to the British Grenadiers."




As I’ve already mentioned in an earlier blog post, coming towards the end of painting figures for new units in my French SYW army I rediscovered 4 British Grenadiers lurking in the nether regions of the Lead Pimple. I’ve painted them up as four Foot Guards’ Grenadiers, simply to bring that element up to five bases to match the three Regiments of Foot Guards’ establishment. 
I had almost forgotten how much I disliked painting the lace and especially the front of the mitre on these figures! Anyway, they are done now and join there recently completed French foe in the' waiting to be varnished box' in GHQ. 

20 comments:

  1. Very fine work on some demanding figures David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their saving grace for my hand & eye is their bold sculpting style.

      Delete
  2. Very nice detailing there Dave....excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only agree with you about the lace, but it does look good. Excellent grenadiers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely base ….. I do like your approach of having a lead pimple rather than the overwhelming mountain, something for me to aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pimple does swell in volume from time to time, but I usually manage to rein it in, usually...

      Delete
  5. Neat additions to the Grenadiers, perhaps they will even better on the table now🙂
    I split my mountain down and make little hills😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better? They hardly need to do better after their last outing! Hills, now that's amusing Phil😂🤣

      Delete
  6. Very nice work David and the intro took me back to primary school where we learnt that song, amongst others:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day, before the woke barstewards interfered with teaching!

      Delete
  7. Great looking British Imperialist running dogs( just for balance)
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is this balance of which you speak? Sounds dangerously woke to me😉

      Delete
  8. Lovely toys David…
    I really like the British Grenadier uniforms of the Seven Years War…
    But you are of course correct… the lace is torturous… it’s not just lace it’s lace on lace…
    The British Grenadier is a great tune… I’ve heard quite a few versions over the years… some off them may have been a bit rude…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rude versions? Perish the thought! Agree on lace of course. I'd like to add some Hanoverians, but, lace.... 😱

      Delete
    2. It's probably a bit like that alternative version of the song the Welsh like to sing before sporting occasions. Remember when I shared it with you when we were surrounded by all those Welsh fans. Happy Days!

      Delete
    3. I remember it well! Happy Days indeed...😉

      Delete