David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 28 December 2021

I love the smell of MDF in the morning!

Over the past couple of months or so I've been buying and making 15mm MDF buildings in preparation for my tilt at 15mm Cold War Gone Hot next year. Now that all the pleasantries of the Christmas season are behind us again I thought I'd show what I've collected so far. I'd like to do that though, by sharing with you what I envisage for the game layout: a small urban and industrial area, mostly confined to the edge of the board in two sections; a small village of two or three houses; at least one farm complex. Of the three I've yet to find anything I really like for the latter piece. I'd also like a church if I can find one I like. Here they are anyway so far ~

You will probably recognise the Sarissa Precision industrial buildings. To them I'd likely add perimeter fencing or walling if I can source it at a good price.

A row of shops
A block of offices
Two post war apartment blocks

The appartment blocks, shops and the  offices/school/hospital are from LaserArtCraft, a company new to me whose service has been first rate. The kits go together easily and seem detailed enough in the raw at 15mm scale.

The same company produce two different post war German houses of two and three floors. I've two of the former and one of the latter. These, together with my sole resin building should comprise a small village and an isolated house. The resin building is I believe an Architectural Heritage product made originally by my friend Dave Paddock. It's certainly in the distinctive brown resin I recall seeing at his workshop. I know he made several other German buildings so I'm on the lookout for more, so far without any luck.

In addition to buildings I need fir trees in bulk and modern roads. The former I'd hope to get cheaply from the Orient and the latter probably utilizing the several preprinted mats on offer. There's a long way to go to seeing the game on the tabletop battlefield in GHQ but it's now underway and should hopefully move forward steadily in the coming months. Watch this space, as advertiser's used to say!

10 comments:

  1. A nice selection of buildings David…
    I look forward to seeing them coloured in…

    All the best. Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colouring in, that's just about my level I guess.

      Delete
  2. Those look very nice and a good mix of buildings too David. Looking forward to seeing them painted and based etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I anticipate mixing it amongst figure painting, steady progress is the key.

      Delete
  3. I am still in shock over your new project.

    Plastic, modern and 15mm rolled in to one, it's the end of days😯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it may be...but not just yet, hopefully

      Delete
  4. Nice lot! Still need to build me that factory as it is sitting in my stash....in 20mm AND 28mm.....maybe this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Set to then, no slacking in the ranks😉

      Delete
  5. I have those in 28mm, I got an idea from Tiny Hordes blog for industrial fencing which was cheap http://musingswargameslife.blogspot.com/2020/10/please-spare-us-from-madness.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip George, it looks like it might work in 15mm.

      Delete