David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 16 December 2021

A Second Regiment of Gardes Français

 The third, and for now at least the last, addition to my SYW expansion of my French army is a second regiment of the Gardes Français. A period illustration shows their uniform as worn in the field quite nicely ~














Of course mine have to match as closely as possible to the first regiment I painted back in the day, which means the red trousers of court dress and not the blue worn in the field. This comes firmly under the ‘my toys, my game’ rule for any lace counters who are distressed by this! As with almost the entire collection, the figures are from Wargames Foundry’s offshoot, Casting Room Miniatures, the flags are from the blog ‘Not By Appointment’ and, of course, the bases from Warbases ~



With the completion of this unit my modest painting target for December has been achieved. At present I’m working on four SYW British Grenadiers to bolster my Foot Guards by a further base, to bring the total to the same number as for the three Foot Guards Regiments when I deploy the Grenadiers as a detached unit. Not strictly kosher numbers wise, but it’s for the look of the game really. Alongside these I have three Eureka Miniatures Mounted Austrian figures - a General and two Chasseurs, an officer and trumpeter - to make a Command stand for my Wars of the French Revolution Austrian Light Cavalry Brigade. I shall be working on these two mini projects as and when over the remainder of the month as time and mood permit.

22 comments:

  1. More splendid additions. Lambs to the slaughter perhaps?
    Lace, lace, lace, lace, laaaace, wonderful lace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can but hope they will please the dice gods...

      Delete
  2. 'My toys, my game' and 'the look' all sit perfectly well for me David. I'm too long in the tooth now to worry about what others think! Oh and of course another excellent looking unit:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid looking toys David…
    I’m not sue what anyone could be offended by… unless of course their hobby is ‘being offended’….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life sadly stuffed full of the easily offended!

      Delete
  4. Lovely job, photo 2 ….. superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fine looking regiment indeed David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm relieved to see that you've avoided the "dandy" look as per the illustration, and stuck to what you do best....Great figures!
    I'm in full support of the "my toys, my game" rule.... freedom of the brush (as I call it) is all part of the fun of collecting and painting. The lacecounters can.... well, you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Freedom of the brush', I do like that Paul!

      Delete
  7. Splendid, but will they fight Mr.B?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! Your guess is as good as mine though...

      Delete
  8. That's a beautiful unit - and good to see some of my flags in action too! :-)

    Cheers,

    David
    https://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, much appreciated! I enjoy following your blog and must say your flags stand alongside the very best commercially available.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the kind words about my blog and the flags. More to come soon... :-)

      Cheers,

      David
      https://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  9. Lovely David. Naturally I went one further than yourself in non historical painting in that I painted my French Garde with the red gaiters your picture shows. I couldnt help it. Similarly my Swiss Garde are also resplendent in the red gaiters. Historically wrong, but when one gets to a certain age one couldnt care too much what other people say. Have a lovely Christmas by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie! As I said, matching the older regiment was my main ambition with these. Happy Christmas to you and yours too.

      Delete
  10. My, aren't those lovely! Spectacular unit, David!

    ReplyDelete