David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 15 February 2020

War of 1812-15 ~ New Jersey Militia 1

Despite the longstanding problems I needn't go on about I am pushing on as best I can manage with my planned month of War of 1812-15 painting. The second Brigade Games unit of US Militia are well underway in the form of the skirmishing pose figures in hunting shirts.
When I came to plan out the look of the unit I found that 4 figures on a 40x40mm base just didn't work for me, so these are now 3 figures each on four bases of 40x40mm and 2 figures each on two 40mm round bases, rather like the skirmish bases I made last year using up surplus US and British regular figures to represent skirmish lines. (As an aside, the Canadian Voltigeurs will also be based in a similar manner.) Here are the first two bases I've completed  so far ~


The colours for this unit, like those for the latest New York Militia unit, I made after a Google search for suitable images. It works for me, but I freely acknowledge that it may not be entirely historically accurate. But, hey ho, it's my game with my toys so frankly they will do just fine.

18 comments:

  1. That's a lovely looking unit and I love the fact that the officer is very different to the rank and file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ, I agree with you on the officer too.

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking militia and quite right,your toys your rules!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boys from Joisey are lookin good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look very militia like to me David, but what do I know. Unless you were actually there you can only attempt to capture the look, so well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, we can only make general assumptions based on contemporary evidence and surviving artifacts. They will do for me, others can of course please themselves.

      Delete
  5. Very good looking. I've been plodding though my 1812 lead mountain, sold lots of spares and bought a few painted to help kick start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin! I expect yours are finished by now then?😉

      Delete
  6. Very nice, at least you tried to get information, we can only go so far with research no matter how much we look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George. Of course you could just spray one side pink and the other puce, it's only a game after all, but we all like to try a bit harder I think.

      Delete
  7. A great looking start to the unit David...
    And the daughters of the county have crocheted a fine looking flag...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very much appreciated Aly, thanks. I'm on the final 2 figures for the second skirmish base. They are done then and can await varnishing! Roll on dryer weather!

      Delete
  8. They look good David....basing is sometimes best going with what looks right 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I tend to agree with that approach.

      Delete