David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 30 December 2021

Beating Retreat?

 Or perhaps even The Last Post? Well, either would have sufficed as title for my review of the goings on in GHQ over the past twelve months of 2021. A year only so far exceeded in awfulness by its predecessor, 2020. I would hope that 2022 might be a tad more acceptable when I come in time to write it's review, but I'm far from optimistic given that Boristhebarsteward and his clowns are still overseeing proceedings.

Of course the year began in Lockdown, so no face to face games were permitted. As I would find Zoom and it's ilk next to impossible to follow as a deaf person, my gaming fix came vicariously via chums who posted videos and blogs of their remote gaming. Thankfully, when Lockdown restrictions eased sufficiently, Phil, Jon and I were able to meet up for games once more. My desk diary shows that since then we have played 33 games here in GHQ, at Phil's and at Jon's. While that's far short of the number we'd aspire to in prepandemic times in the circumstances I'd think its a decent return. Of these though I only Won 13, while I Lost 16 and 4 ended as Draws! A below average performance in tune with the below average year I'd say! Despite everything though I enjoyed every one, if not for my performance or dice throwing then for the friendship and steadfast company of my friends. I've also encouraged William in his enthusiasm for gaming in GHQ. Who knows, he may have caught the wargaming bug from Grandad...

Given that for endless months Face to Face games were off the agenda you might think that was reflected in an increased output across the painting desk. It seems not when I run the numbers and I do find that strange. Over the year I have completed 671 figures, all in 28mm. While there have been some odd additions to older projects, for example the recent Austrian Light Cavalry Brigade command base, the bulk of the effort went in first completing the Punic Wars armies and then in painting two armies for my Tales From Pendawar project set in India between 1800-1806. Like it's predecessor, the Punic Wars collection, this project too featured in an article in Wargames Illustrated. Another intermittent effort over the year saw additions made to my ACW collection, and not all from my usual choice of Dixon Miniatures' figures either. End of Days perhaps? Well no, you'll be glad to know, as I've four new Dixon Miniatures' units in the Lead Pimple!

The Wargamers' Year for me, as for most of you I'd guess, is often punctuated by visits to favourite Wargames Shows. I had managed to attend both WMMS and Hammerhead in March 2020 before the pandemic struck, but since then there had been zilch on offer! In October, with more than a tad of concern, Phil and I attended The Other Partizan! I went I must say mainly to meet my son Matt and catch up with his news and see his wonderful 100 Years War collection in action. Of course I was able to meet a few, though not all, of my usual chums from the north as a bonus. I even bought a few bits and bobs too! However, I was far from comfortable in myself amongst all the mostly unmasked hordes and so decided not to try and attend other shows that followed on.

As for most years though, I probably bought far more than was needed or even sensible given the limitations of GHQ; it's not the TARDIS after all! The addition of the Tales From Pendawar armies and expansions in others has strained the storage facilities almost to breaking point, so perhaps some rationalisation might be in order next year. Or then again perhaps not...

Finally, looking forward to the New Year with what little optimism I can muster right now, this is how the Lead Pimple shakes out: two infantry regular battalions for the Army of the Pendawar Presidency; for the ACW, the Sussex Light Dragoons are underway and three infantry units are patiently waiting their turn; for the FRW I still have the Scots Greys to paint. That's it really, the 15mm Cold War Gone Hot project will fit in around them I'd hope over the coming months, but I think it will be a back burner really. 

I couldn't end this review though without mentioning the tragic and unexpected loss of Duncan MacFarlane, former editor/owner of Wargames Illustrated and of Trent Miniatures. Even now I find it hard to accept that a rock of my hobby and wargaming life has passed. He will be in my thoughts and prayers as the year turns, as will you all. I will close now then by wishing you all a Happy New Year! I hope to see you all back here in GHQ over the course of the coming year.

20 comments:

  1. Excellent numbers on the painting. I very much like the idea of a lead pimple ….. rather than mountain. All the best for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm! I've had a Lead Mountain in my time and it's basically self defeating. I usually have enough about the place for three or four months painting, just in case circumstances conspire against me.

      Delete
  2. A good review of the year and with many aspects that we can all relate to. Despite the initial lockdown you managed to get in a good number of games, which is great to see. Alongside this your painting output has been impressive compared to my meagre effort and I have very much enjoyed seeing what you've produced.

    I too after Partizan decided not to bother with any other shows as with cases rising, it was certainly not worth the risk IMHO.

    Here's wishing you a Happy New Year and let's hope that 2022 is a much better year across the board, as we all need it to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have been useful SteveJ, I shall endeavour to continue in the same vein.

      Delete
  3. A happy new year to you David. All in all a productive year given the challenging circumstances but we are adaptable us humans. The fact that you know exactly what is in your lead pile worries me as I have only a very general view👍 Looking forward to 2022

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The advantages of only having a Lead Pimple!

      Delete
  4. A good end of year review David…

    You have certainly had a lot more face to face games than I have… and painted many more toys…
    I’ve really enjoyed watching you put your new collections together…it is really inspiring….but you cause my wargames butterfly to flutter far to often 😁…
    Hopefully things will start to calm down a bit next year… I look forward to putting the world and wargaming to rights with you over a beer/soft drink/cup of tea.
    I however do challenge the accuracy of your picture of ‘The Government’…
    The people in your image seem to me to be far more coordinated and focused on the task at hand than Fat Boris and his Comedy Players.

    Have an enjoyable and happy new year old chap…
    All the best. Aly.

    You… 15mm figures… nope!… still…does not compute 😁


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had many 15mm armies back in the day...

      Delete
  5. Interesting review David if a tad downbeat in many respects. As one who has suffered a bit during lockdown like many others, I still feel relatively positive about things.Of course that could change and certainly would if Kier whats his name somehow grabbed power, which wont happen soon. I take the view that as long as sufficient people have the sense to become vaccinated then some sort of normality will return. As regards shows, well I attended Partizan and took the view that given how well things had been organised it boded well for the other shows, hence I attended a couple more, and amazingly Im still standing. Mind I also attended two music weekenders prior to these shows and came away with nothing worse than a headache. Luckily our hobby has been something to hide away inside of and ignore the realities of the situation. So think positive thoughts, get your Dixon's on the table and embrace the beauty of your toys. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Black Dog has been on the loose of late and might have unduly coloured my thinking...

      Delete
  6. That is a lot of figures painted! I have a lead mountain range to get through so a small hill sounds nice. Happy New Year!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a small hill can be daunting at times!

      Delete
  7. Onwards and upwards David, also a Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good summary of the year David, and many parralels with mine, 2021 is the year of setbacks for me in many ways, for my hobbies, horses and wargames, loss of a mate and relative and my jobs all within the space of one afternoon in September, but now onward and upwards I hope, finishing my wargames room kept me sane and provided much space in the main house, but no gamers as yet due to COVID worries, which I am apprehensive about in 2022,maybe some shows will still be on but only Partizan and Hammerhead really count for me now, interesting that there will not be a Salute in 2022, perhaps they are having a rething about the whole show, but I wont miss it, havent been for over six years. We lost quite a few key people in the hobby and some not so old these days, Duncan was especially a shock and of course Phil Hobbs, so hopefully onward and upward in 2022, but I thinks things may still be a bit tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salute is no great loss I agree. I assume that the traders realised they don't need it as the virus lockdown has changed our buying habits towards online.

      Delete
  9. A good run down of the year of 2021, not one we would all have hoped for but such things are sent to try us.
    Has already said, onward and upward and KBO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KBO indeedie! Happy New Year, though not to your dice of course!🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a decent output and number of games to me ,let us hope that next year is better!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete