David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 2 November 2020

Displacement Activity #4

 I should really be pressing on with painting my Allied Italian cavalry but somehow the motivation has lapsed since the end of October. I blame the diversion into ACW vignettes and buildings myself! Still, all is not lost as I have managed a little painting for the Punic Wars project in the form of the Crusader Miniatures Republican Roman marching camp set. I've used four of the five figures in this piece to suggest the perimeter of the marching camp. The earth bank is based on a strip of foam packaging and the stakes are toothpicks ( I cut them too long on reflection, but hey-ho, they're done now.)


I have two tents from Magister Militum to base up to be behind this piece in suggesting the marching camp. I'm waiting for the large terrain bases I ordered from Warbases to finish the piece off. More later, as they say!

22 comments:

  1. Another super vignette David.
    Regaards, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that as a scene / combo. I would not even have thought of the size of the stakes until yo mentioned it, so they looked right to my eye and offer a good balance to the other end of the base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, nice to know it doesn't detract from the piece.

      Delete
  3. This is great - I love all these little vignette type bases - they add real character to any table, even though they serve no actual purpose in terms of the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my armies seem to serve no purpose in the game this year.

      Delete
  4. As others have said, that is a lovely vignette and the sort of thing to keep you ticking over when painting miniatures seems a chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has helped me get back into the routine of painting.

      Delete
  5. You always surprise me, a really excellent little set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice to know George. How's Berlin coming along?

      Delete
    2. Considering it was supposed to be my Winter project it is 85% done :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, I saw it on Farcebook yesterday. Clearly, like me, for you patience is not a virtue.😉

      Delete
  6. Always glad to see this kind of vignette, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have provided a little pleasure then.

      Delete
  7. Lovely... an excellent piece of displacement activity David.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly! The tents are proving equally distracting!

      Delete
  8. Echoing Aly’s comment a lovely little piece.......certainly a distraction I can see you doing a bath house next 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! As to the bath house, well, you never know...

      Delete
  9. Good idea David. Not a distraction but a lovely addition to your table.

    ReplyDelete