David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 10 November 2020

Displacement Activity #5

 Those of you who actually read this blog will recall that I was diverted last month into a couple of terrain additions: a cotton field vignette, a small barn for N American games, and a small 4 figure vignette depicting the construction of the perimeter bank, ditch and palisade suggesting a Marching Camp for the Republican Romans. To complete the piece I had a further figure and three stands of pilum, helmet and scutum from the Crusader Miniatures pack of Romans in camp. In addition I also had two resin tents, cast from the Ian Weekley originals, via Magister Militum. Also to hand was a small fire which I think came with the Agema Miniatures haruspex set. After painting I arranged them on a 150x150mm terrain base from Warbases, applied my texture mix over PVA, washed it with Country Maple and finally applied static grass, clumps and tufts. I hope it will do...

When I have completed the Allied Italian cavalry to support my Republican Romans I hope to lay the whole collection out on the table in GHQ, both to encourage my stalling painting mojo and to give any interested reader the sense of what the games might look like. As an aside, while I've not yet bought the projected Spanish cavalry for my Carthaginian army I did buy a book!

Almost forty years old, by publishing date on inside header page, and in perfect condition from World of Books and with free postage. A nice general read about the period, dated obviously in places, but I was pleased to add it to my small library.

16 comments:

  1. Nice work David. Nothing like some construction workers discussing a hole in the ground. I possess said book and unpainted Carthaginian horde plus Romans too. Too many other projects have got in the way.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norber, hope you get around to your Punic Wars stuff soon.

      Delete
  2. Another one of those excellent little vignettes which please us so much and makes everything that bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George, pleased it found favour.

      Delete
  3. That will do splendidly, I shall endeavour to defend it with vigour when we return to the new normality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil! Let's hope it's soon for all our sakes.

      Delete
  4. Another nice terrain piece David and it's always nice when you can add a good book to the library:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely vignettes, very atmospheric, great job David!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tents....will be nice to see the force all together and a nice book as well 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fine terrain piece/vignette. '...washed... with Country Maple', sounds like what they will put in the advert in the legions' classifieds!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James! I wonder what the Latin for it would be...?

      Delete