David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 15 November 2020

Punic Wars Project Progress

 As promised in an earlier post, the whole collection to date arrayed on the table here in GHQ. I started back in May, as you'll no doubt know if you are a regular visitor, with the first two bases of javelin armed levy made from the Velite packs in the Republican Roman Army deal then offered by Aventine Miniatures. Since then I've plodded on with the project whenever I've been able to reach this position. Anyway, see what you think ~

The city walls I believe are by Grand Manner, in heavy resin sadly, but I can't be certain on that as I bought them from the late Peter Bradford who I'd known from back in the day when Phil and I were organising WMMS. The villa ruin is a Jarvis foam piece, I think, which I picked up from a B&B at some local show or other. The temple ruin is an old Ian Weekley piece with columns from Coritanii. Trees are from The Last Valley and, of course, Phil made the baseboards for me.

20 comments:

  1. Very nice David you have reached a good position in fairly short , but I guess unusual times. The romans look slightly outnumbered at the moment ? Let’s hope they see some action soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt! Yes, we are certainly living through 'interesting times'... The second Legion of 80 figures will redress the balance for the Republic.

      Delete
  2. Well I must say David that it is great to see them all arrayed on the table. It must be a nice and satisfying feeling doing this, as it shows that your hard work has paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ. There were more than I thought when I laid them out.

      Delete
  3. A superb array there, quick not half! With, despite your view, quality, well done super stuff. Hope it's no too long before I can command them in GHQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! I shall leave them out on the table now as a positive element in coping through all this malarchy!

      Delete
  4. Love the city walls. Unfortunately they aren't available on Grand Manner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is down to Dave's somewhat eccentric approach to his business. Mad if you ask me, like his prices.

      Delete
  5. They have a lovely presence on the table and a fine result in just 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind Norm and is much appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Do you have all the Aventine Rp Romans you need? I have a purchase from a few years ago of about 100 figs that I am never going to get around painting if you are interested. My email is djkmbro at yahoo dot co dot uk if you want to ge in touch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two splendid armies and delightful terrain, you've knocked these out rapidly and in spite of your views I think they're very good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind there Iain and I thank you for those sentiments.

      Delete
  8. Splendid David...
    Everybody loves an inanibus...
    A fine looking collection indeed

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words and encouragement, even the rather obscure Latin one...

      Delete
    2. I only speak obscure Latin (and bad English ) 😁

      Delete
    3. English? Surely you mean McEnglish? 😁

      Delete
  9. They look good... just need more company! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is in hand. 20 Hastatii of the Allied Italian Legion finished so far.

      Delete