David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 8 November 2020

Back to the Romans!

 Rather, back to allies of the Republican Romans in the Punic Wars. In this instance the first of the Allied Italian cavalry. Now, those who have been following this particular thread on my blog from its beginning will recall how I struggled with the Aventine Miniatures Roman cavalry figures due to their multipart nature. Thankfully the Allied cavalry figures are less fiddly with fewer parts to deal with! So far I've completed six figures from the 12 I bought in one of the Unit Deals.

One criticism, and it's not really all that significant, is that on many of the figures you cannot fit the shield to the figure using the fist into the shield's rear recess. This is due to the figures' poses as they relate to the horses. The horses' heads might have been better sculpted looking off to their right to ensure the shields could be fitted more securely then. A minor irritant in the great scheme of things, but there you go.

As ever, bases are from Warbases and the shield transfers from LBM. I've another three figures underway and the last three are fixed to the MDF hexes I use to hold them securely while I'm painting. Once these are completed it will leave the Allied Italian Legion to complete the project, for now at least: a mere 80 figures!

14 comments:

  1. A splendid addition to the ranks, you are certainly motoring along on the project. The hand and shield problem on cavalry is not reserved for Aventine, alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do more, but it's a combination of hand issues and "what's the point"?

      Delete
  2. Very nice indeed David...
    I know what you mean about fitting the shields... I sometimes add a bit of Green Stuff putty to the back(of the shield) to help give a bit more adhesion...

    I also try and just ignore the awkward question of how on earth does the rider hold the reins ,the shield and control the horse...

    Years of training I suppose 🤔

    As long as they look good... and don’t run away... I’m happy 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, advice always welcome. I'll settle for mine just not running away!

      Delete
  3. They have come out very well indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great David and I'm glad to hear, aside from the shield issue, that they were easier to assemble. One of the joys of 10mm is you don't have these problems to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the other hand, you need to be able to see them...

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking allied cavalry, they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice David you are maintaining that productivity. The shield issue is common with lots of figures and I assume because they rider and horse are sculpted separately, the horses then used for multiple rider combinations. I often find myself cutting bits off the back of shields so they fit properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Truth is I feel bogged down a bit, I don't like painting cavalry much and the shield issue is ongoing and adding to loss of impetus.

      Delete
  7. They look great and you have done a nice job on the bases too. I don't think you have anything to apologise for in mentioning the issue with fitting them together - if sculptors feel the need for separate shield, hands, weapons etc, the least they can do is start with the figure all fitting together (including the horse) and then work their way backwards from there.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my efforts. Since I posted these three more have been finished and the last three are well underway. Obviously I tend to agree with you about figure design.

      Delete