David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 31 October 2020

Small Plantation Barn

 Having only utilized four of the five female field hands in my small cotton field vignette I decided to base the remaining figure on its own circular base. While waiting for the glue to dry I set about making a small barn for my modest plantation to suggest a housing for the cotton gin. 

It's based on the 15mm 'small barn' from Warbases. (If you saw Wargames Illustrated Bitesize#3 during our Spring lockdown you will have seen my first similar effort.) The wooden shingle strips covering the roof come from Oshiro Models while the planking comes from cutting up thin cream coloured card. The doors and windows are from Warbases as is the base. 

When it's all assembled it had two coats of Crafter's Acrylic Burnt Umber and a third coat of Foundry Bay Brown Shade. The whole is roughly dry brushed with Foundry Arctic White Shade. I used Dried Earth Basetex for the groundwork with added static grass, Tufts and the like. The barrel is a wooden piece from a craft store in the USA I picked up on a trip one time. The chimney is an offcut of plastic pipping. It's deliberately off true as to suggest a rather run down sort of place.

I've also started another building for my 'plantation' again using Warbases' products in the form of two lean-to additions. So far I've put the shingle strips on the roof and fixed the door and windows in place. All being well I'll do the planking next while I await the larger terrain base I've ordered from Warbases. On the longer term terrain front for a N American setting I've two more Warbases building kits in stock: the farmhouse and the old barn. These should provide the occasional and necessary break in the figure painting cycle over the winter months. 

 

20 comments:

  1. Nicely run down in a good way👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice David and I too like to paint buildings or scenery when I'm not in the modd for figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ, I'm well on with the Overseer's house now too.

      Delete
  3. A nice useful little building David...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. I prefer the small footprint for buildings in games, they are representative after all of groups of buildings.

      Delete
  4. A very usefully small footprint for the 28mm table. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm, you've understood my approach perfectly.

      Delete
  5. That looks great, a fine addition.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work again David you can never have too many barns, especially in North America !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Top looking barn David. As the others have noted, the rustic look is brilliant.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James, I was aiming for the 'well used' look.

      Delete
  8. Do you also have an Ante Bellum Plantation Mansion....or is that next on the building list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall use my existing ACW building as it will do on my table.

      Delete