David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 29 June 2023

How strange?

Well, it's like this: Phil has decided on a new adventure in his gaming universe. I can't say more than that at present. Meanwhile, in my equally strange new-old project the Scots Fusilier Guards are nearing completion with two bases of eight figures finished and the bases textured while four of the last Guardsmen are under the brush. I've also been intermittently cleaning up and undercoating more figures to build up a 'Ready For The Brush' stock ~









Obviously l took this trial picture before the texturing! So far I've prepared the Coldstream Guards and a Highland infantry regiment for the British, together with two 9lb guns & crew and 9 bases of skirmishing Rifle Brigade figures as well as some mounted personalities. While for the Roosians I've got three infantry Battalions ready for the brush alongside two 12lb guns & crew. I'm due for a rest I think after all this activity so I'm off to see Matt this weekend down in Herefordshire. Of course Matt lives conveniently close to Hay-on-Wye, Britain's second hand book capital, so some Crimean War inspiration is on the agenda.

Finally, and completely off message, I took advantage of a Gripping Beast offer combined with my Wargames Illustrated voucher offer to buy a set of rules ~


I don't have any armies for the period the rules cover but I thought they might be interesting and make a change from Black Powder if I could adapt them for either the FRW or the Crimea...

18 comments:

  1. A flying start and no mistake and looking rather Tickety boo to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting with the Guard is a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start to the project.
    Very interesting set of rules,they work well for First Carlist War.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine start old chap…
    The rules look interesting.


    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly! I shall look them over when I'm back from Matt's next week.

      Delete
  5. Not my period but going to be interested in your take on the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those chaps look mighty fine and love the simplicity of the uniform. Enjoy your break and Hay-on-Wye would be a dangerous place for me to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ! I can recommend Hay despite the danger to the wallet!

      Delete
  7. An excellent start there Dave and looking good! It'll be interesting watching the development of the project from scratch😉
    Always worth dabbling in a new set of rules, you may well find many new inspiring ideas... for both current and future projects. By all accounts, that particular set seems to have quite a few good write-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We will see with both the project and the rules I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I picked these rules up, put them down, picked them up, put them down etc. at the Phalanx show. I will be very interested in your take on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm but you may be in for a longish wait ...

      Delete
  10. Great to see the progress David and new rules as well 👍

    ReplyDelete