David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 7 August 2021

Age shall not weary them...

Taken out of context I know, but a suitable peg to hang my reflections on being an aging wargamer. I've been thinking a good deal on and off about my hobby and my age of late, no doubt partly at least fueled by Duncan's unexpected and untimely demise. For a good while now I've mentioned hand and eye issues affecting my painting activity, perhaps rather more often than I should, for which I apologise. I could add to that energy levels, after reading about all day games on George's blog made me almost as weary as if I'd been there! I'm also close to the end of my Pendawar project, at least for now, so I've been considering what might be in store for me in the coming months. 

Well, the 'Lead Pimple' is now reduced to two 4L RUBs under my desk. One contains my four ACW infantry regiments, together with two HM Regular infantry units for Pendawar to allow a Brigade of Regulars to be fielded. The second contains the Scots Greys for my FRW project together with three French SYW infantry regiments and one Cavalry squadron. And that, dear readers, is it. I do though have a further RUB in GHQ itself, though it's not metal but plastic! Before all the coronavirus malarky I bought a small collection of vehicles, helicopters and some infantry for Seven Days to the Rhine. I got cold feet and tried to sell it on via Jon, but no takers came forward, so it's now back on the list for over the winter.

It's quite crazy really, I have to confess. I have far too many periods in a playable state, why add something in a different scale entirely? I think the answer must be in the fact that I realise I've used painting over the years as a displacement activity to help me deal with stresses, first of work and now of aging. Of course any fool could see that I need a new period/project like a hole in the head, but there you are. If I stopped painting it would amount to an admission in my view that it was all over bar the shouting. As my late father, a keen amateur golfer, said on his 80th birthday, "When I can't play golf you can screw the lid down on my coffin!" A bit blunt, but you get his drift I'm sure. A new project cocks a snook at impending mortality, so I hope there will be many more still to come, for you as well as for me... In the meantime, as Churchill said, KBO! ( 'Keep Buggering On', for the uninitiated!)

29 comments:

  1. Well said why give in to the inevitable, I think that if you stop somehting you are active at then that is what accelerates the demise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David what sort of lighting do you have in your garage for wargaming, I have just converted mine to a wargaem room and would like bright lighting without any shadow areas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two multiple LED 200 Watt lights on the ceiling placed centrally over the table. It gives a warm white light. The newer versions my neighbour/electrician tells me are more powerful. The two lights cost £200 but I'm sure they'll be cheaper now. Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Cheers thought LED would be the way ahead

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking of all that myself. I've often heard "Aren't you too old to play with toy soldiers?" I usually don't respond, although I know that many peoples' hobbies are far more costly and destructive to the soul than mine. So keep up the good! "Anyone can grow up; it takes a real adult to be a child all their life!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too old? Never! Great quote there Grenzer John!

      Delete
  4. Having a lead, plastic or both pile at least gives you something to do when not actually gaming. Because you can't game all the time.
    It is an opportunity to 'do something different'. To stop boredom from becoming a regular companion.
    As I contemplate the end of my working life, around Christmas this year, I'm now sure that more painting will be the order of the day.
    Besides, I've just ordered about 50 figures from Galloping Major for the FIW with more to follow when painted. Then there is the H&R French Napoleonics (3k of figures!) if and when they allow them to be oredered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your impending retirement will be all you could wish for!

      Delete
  5. More power to your elbow Mr. B, onwards!
    KBO not KTB I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need more than elbow power some days! See you tomorrow for the Romans v Goths tussle.

      Delete
  6. My brush with cancer along with a shaky painting arm has made me really reassess my attitude to the hobby these past few years. Since retiring a year or so ago, I no longer have the stresses of work to deal with, which is a bonus but did, like you David, find painting a great way to deal with it.

    Nowadays I paint and game when I want, not worrying about if I don't do anything for quite sometime. I hope to keep doing both for as long as I can, with some 30 years still to play all being well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At 66, and with planned retirement still another 4 years off, I have begun to think that I, perhaps, have almost enough troops.
    Then my sense of reason returns, and I think of another project or three... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness me, working until 70? I finished at 51 and thought that too long really!

      Delete
  8. Yes indeed KBO. I plan to keep collecting, painting and gaming for as long as it gives me pleasure who knows how long that will be. I have at least three or four projects in my mind for the future and I know they will be replaced by more in the future 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see all your projects come to fruition! KBO Matt, KBO!

      Delete
  9. I grumble about painting - but it is very satisfying to see unit roll off the other end of the painting table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you catch them before they fall though Norm...😁

      Delete
  10. Keep painting and playing David. I look forward to your next project. Onwards and upwards! Age shall not weary us.

    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I shall do my best to oblige

      Delete
  11. KBO Mr.B. Although I do recall you saying a couple of years ago "I'm not starting any new projects" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't deny that! My main problem now is I'm running out of room in GHQ for storing things!

      Delete
    2. You need some MDF RUB tray inserts from Walt at Commission Figurines then you can get more in a RUB.

      Delete
    3. My RUBs are sized to fit my figures, so not an available option sadly.

      Delete
  12. For many years I have supported the theory that if you have absolutely no toys left to paint you have signed your own doom…
    Which is why I always have one or two (or possibly a few more) things to paint in the lead mountain… I would suggest you do the same… just in case 😁.
    I must admit that I am interested to see your approach to small plastic tanks…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small plastic tanks you say? My solution? Send for Phil!😁

      Delete
  13. I have had two unusually long gaming days recently and my legs paid for it afterwards as I tend to stand during games, but I won’t stop merely try and sit more between volleys. I have stopped large army projects and intend to concentrate on more gaming projects along with terrain. I won’t stop but will slow down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I won’t stop but will slow down." Forgive me George if I find that somewhat hard to believe at present...😁

      Delete