David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 15 August 2021

"Anyone can grow up; it takes a real adult to be a child all their life!"

 A quote borrowed from Grenzer John, in a comment in reply to a recent blog on new projects and aging, which struck a real chord with me. On reflection it seems to me to exactly suit most of my hobby friends and close acquaintances. Long may we all continue to enjoy the simple pleasures of our wonderful hobby! 

In the meantime I'm preparing the SYW game here in GHQ for Phil's regular visit on alternate Mondays. I've included a picture and invite you to find either the sole Front Rank unit or one of the two Eagle Miniatures units. No prizes of course, I'm only a poor pensioner after all...๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿป

Meanwhile, back at the painting desk there has been no paint spilt in anger or otherwise for a week now. Instead the little hobby time I've had has been solely devoted to assembling Plaaastic kits for my Cold War 15mm project. Lovely little kits but right at the edge of my very limited competences in modelling. Some Soviet T72s ~

Finally a short cautionary tale which does not reflect much credit on my good self. I first visited Hammerhead at Newark Showground in March 2019. In passing a stand, Caliver Books I think it was, I noticed a lone box of PSC Soviet T55s and snapped them up. Yesterday, over two years later, I picked them up having assembled all the Battlefront vehicles in the Plastic Annex. They looked awfully large I thought, so I looked at the box more closely. Goodness me, they are 1/72nd not 15mm. 'What a mistaka to mayka!!!!' I wonder if Dave will exchange them for me? As my late father would surely say to me, "There's no point in being stupid if you don't show it!" Ho Hum...


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No credit attaches to me, I borrowed it from Grenzer John

      Delete
  2. I certainly feel young. The SYW game looks a real treat as for purchasing the wrong scale you can’t even blame old age ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote David! Another one I like is: "Getting old is compulsory, growing up is entirely optional'.

    The SYW game looks great and eagerly await the AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The AAR will be later in midweek I'd expect.

      Delete
  4. Was the PSC kit reduced by any chance๐Ÿค”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me well...but no it wasn't, so again no valid excuse available. Doh!

      Delete
  5. Ah well -= sounds like a message from the wargaming Gods - your next project will obviously be 1/72 skirmish level Cold War Gone Hot using plastic figures - who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ๐Ÿ‘ด๐ŸปWoof bl**dy woof!๐Ÿถ

      Delete
  6. A lovely looking set up…
    I look forward to seeing the game…

    You have to bear it in mind that when things are far away they look smaller…even tanks ๐Ÿ˜

    My big failing is buy books I already own…especially Ospreys.
    I tend to only spot this when I go to put the thing in the bookcase…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done the book trick too! I put it down to my age!๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿป The game was grand, look out for an AAR later in the week!

      Delete