David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 8 October 2023

Am I getting too old for all this?

All this being getting up before sparrowfart to travel to Newark Showground and attend The Other Partizan? Standing in a queue even to get in...

I really thought that I was past all that, rolling up at 11.00ish more my style. All to miss the anticipated but non existent traffic queues with multiple events staged across the showground. Any way, enough moaning. In just after 10.00 for £2.00 as an OAP, can't complain at that. A quick visit to The Last Valley to collect two terrain items, to Colonel Bill's to hand over some surplus painted figures I'd sold him, and to give some more Crimean War figures to good friend Dave O'Brien, whose Gothenburg Gamers group were staging a Crimean War display game, Turks v Roosians!

Then on to see The Bodkins' Medieval extravaganza - best game in the show it transpired and best vignette award too for my son Matt! Well done all! The standard of games was exceptional this year, surpassing all previous in my view. In fact, almost too much really to take in. Anyway, The Bodkins ~

The Boondock Sayntes with another magnificent game table featuring so much talented brush and model work ~
So many other marvellous games to OD on! A few more pictures from those I particularly enjoyed in whole or part ~
Shrewsbury Wargames Society. A long time since I'd seen this special model of Stokesay Castle.
The Bunker's WW1 in Palestine game.
The Back of Beyond, according to the League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers anyway.
A rather spiffing Anglo-Zulu War game 
Long Range Desert Group, or SAS?
THE western Front! Trenches, tanks, biplanes! Very evocative!
The Very British Civil War, a stiff upper lip is mandatory...
Vietnam, a small but beautifully formed game.
Well, that's my take on The Other Partizan 2023 games, no doubt you will have your own. Roll on Partizan 2024 hoping folk can top even these!

18 comments:

  1. David, I must have just missed you. I was there not long after and like your good self, went straight to The Last Valley.

    Agree, the effort that went into the games was exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that our paths never crossed Norm, but it was very busy and crowded I found. A record attendance I'm hearing which can only be a good thing!

      Delete
    2. Indeed, this is a strong show with a bright future - good to have a bit of stability in the wargaming calendar.

      Delete
    3. Clearly the Number 1 show for Historical gamers!

      Delete
  2. A fine selection of the various gaming goodness there. So much to take in and way to much to capture it all in photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A surfeit of gaming excellence on view, and all for £2.

      Delete
  3. All the games look magnificent,a great showcase for the hobby,very inspirational.
    Very good to hear about a record attendance. It's fantastic that the hobby is in such great shape

    ReplyDelete
  4. A grand day out indeed David…
    It was good to see you and catch up…
    I have to admit that my joints and feet were certainly complaining when I got home…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to meet up and natter! I think I might write THE book on knees and hard floors. I'm still aching today.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing, very much appreciated for those of us who could not make it.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing them! It was overwhelming really, just too much great work on show. Even the average games were really worth seeing. Loads of ideas to 'borrow' I thought

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a great day out David and so many wonderful games on show! Nice to see Matt winning the award too as his vignette really is wonderful:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A grand day out topped by Matt's well deserved win.

      Delete
  7. Splendid games and battles David πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best ever in my opinion and streets ahead of the rip off that is Salute.

      Delete
  8. Some stunning looking games on display there... spent ages looking through the pictures. I partucularly liked the burning buildings in the background on the Western front, and of course Stokesay castle! Thanks for sharing the pic's. πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth there was so much it overwhelmed me at times. I never even saw the giant Risk game for instance! Glad you enjoyed a vicarious visit.

      Delete