David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 31 October 2023

Third Roosian Infantry Battalion

I had almost finished these when the virus struck, so as my health improved they were amongst the first figures I completed after the mounted Highland officer. The figures are from Great War Miniatures of course, the flags from North Star and bases from Warbases as always. Not a lot more I can say about them really ~

One or two of you have commented favourably on my basing of this project so I thought I ought to say a bit more in detail about my approach. Firstly, the bases themselves are 3mm MDF rather than my usual 2mm. I hoped this would reduce if not eliminate any tendency to warp during the process. Sadly it seems to have been the former. 

Then I attach the figures with UHU Power with an added spot of Super glue. This produces a strong and almost instantaneous bond meaning handling the base as you go along is reasonably safe. I find that the larger bases mean you can attempt more diorama style bases when arranging your figures. Often the sculptors have done the work for you in designing the range. The Roosians have two useful packs in this respect: Casualties and NCOs dressing the ranks. Both are used to effect in this Battalion. At the same time I fix one or two larger Woodlands Scenics 'rocks' to the gaps in the basing ~

Now I coat the base around the figure bases with School PVA from Hobbycraft,  dipping the base in my mix of Woodlands Scenics Buff Ballast. As the figures are securely fixed you can turn the base upsidedown to loose the surplus mix. I leave this to dry overnight.

The next stage in the process is to wash the base with my preferred Crafters' Acrylic shade of Country Maple. As I mix the wash by eye there is some variation I've found as the ratio of paint to H2O differs each time. It's not an issue which bothers me I have to say.

Leaving the wash to dry off for the next day means when you add static grass there are no damp areas to retain the grass strands where you don't want them. Bitter experience speaking here! I apply the PVA in a sort of camouflage pattern, mainly to disguise the figures' bases and break up the inevitable rectangular look of the base. I use a mix of Jarvis Spring and Summer grasses, though other brands are available. 

While the PVA is still fresh I apply tufts to suit in a mixture of styles and colours. I buy the Gamers' Grass Tufts from Great Escape Games at shows or from Arcane by mail order. You may have noticed there are no flowering shrubs in evidence. I didn't think they'd be suitable for the Crimea so I used the Weeds packs, light and dark greens, to vary the look of the tufts ~

So there you have it, hardly cutting edge ideas, but I hoped a few readers might find it of interest. Next up will be a some Roosian artillery and naval types so do pop back soonish please.

17 comments:

  1. A further fine addition to the new/old project, looking very grand indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking troops, David. Nice basing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the diorama look to these bases, you must really have quite a force by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the bases have made a favourable impression Norm. I have to say there remain more figures in the Lead Pimple than I've completed to date.

      Delete
  4. Fine work as always David and these Roosians do look good:). Nice to read how you go about your basing too, which is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I do my best, can do no more nowadays. Thank you though Matt.

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking troops. Great to read how you go about achieving such fantastic bases,very,very useful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovely looking unit David…
    As I have said before…good consistent basing ties your figures and units together… it’s the toys you really want to see…not what they are stood on.
    This lurgy just doesn’t want to go away easily… I thought I was starting to get over it…apparently mt πŸ™„

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently notπŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

      Delete
    2. Sorry the lurgi is hanging about. If it's any consolation, and I doubt it, it seems to take longer with advancing years. I learned my basing from Phil, though adapting the style to my own ideas. Never too old to learn!

      Delete
  8. Another splended unit there Dave I must say! Nice variation on the greatcoat colours πŸ‘ Your basing "how to" is interesting and informative too, thanks for taking the time to explain. I take it that the ballast helps to make up the depth to the figure bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, glad you found the basing ideas interesting. You are right, the texture of the ballast breaks up the outline of the figures' bases once washed to match the colour.

      Delete