David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 12 October 2023

Greeks bearing gifts...

Some further refurbishment and rebasing of the Roosians from the Prodigal Foundry Collection has given me six useful skirmish bases of Greek volunteers. I've no idea if these are an accurate representation of the Greeks but they are wearing traditional costume it seems. They were painted for me by Matt when he'd be about 13 or 14. You can see he was already better than me even then ~

In addition to these I've also now assembled two useful Roosian command bases and a further base of an Orthodox priest bearing a religious banner ~

All Foundry figures of course, but the priest not from the Perrys' range. He's bulkier than their Crimean range as you can see.
You can never have enough command bases in my view! A closer view of the Orthodox banner bearing priest below ~

Probably a spare Cossack artilleryman I'd think added to one of the figures from the High Command pack as is now. Basing on all three of these was done by Jon and I think that they fit in quite well with my current style of bases. Just some skirmish bases of a Roosian Rifle battalion to finish off and all of the infantry and artillery will have been refurbished and rebased. A bit of a rest and a return to painting mainly is on the cards for now.

16 comments:

  1. Very fine, you have attacked the rebasing exercise with gusto Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gusto has rather been depleted of late though!

      Delete
  2. Nice stuff David and the prodigal force ready for battle πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  3. More great bases Dave! Very fine looking. Nice so see some of Matt's earlier work included there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine looking command stands,and excellent progress with the rebasing.
    Very impressive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice David…
    The Greeks were based on a painting in Cadogan’s Crimea…
    On campaign they would probably have worn a shorter version of the Russian greatcoat…
    But to be honest…Given the choice… Go pretty.😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall the book but not that illustration. Old age I surmise...

      Delete
  6. As Aly says above, "go pretty", which works for me!

    ReplyDelete