David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 7 October 2023

"Bring up the guns!"

The refurbishing and rebasing of elements of the Prodigal Foundry Collection continues here in GHQ alongside the main effort of painting figures for the new elements of the project. The Grenadier Guards are progressing nicely with a second base of figures being completed recently. I'll show the finished 3rd Battalion of the Grenadier Guards when I've finished the last base of figures, something to look forward to there!

Back to refurbished additions though, the main point of this post after all. Having done with the Roosian artillery it seemed proper to address the British artillery arm next, starting with a 9lb battery of the Royal Horse Artillery. Apart from the Command Stand the two guns and crew, together with the limber set had all been rebased by Jon so it was just a case of that base being textured and washed, followed by grass 'n tufting of the set. They must have been varnished with gloss from a DIY store back in the day, so I'll give them a spray of Humbrol matt varnish to tone down the shine! Anyway, a few pictures for you ~

There is also a 12lb battery of the Royal Artillery to refurbish with new basing but they need a bit more work, and I'm out of appropriately sized bases too. In addition to these there is a 24lb gun and crew together with a mortar and crew to represent a siege element of the force. As an aside Jon had rebased the Royal Navy 36lb guns and crew on very snazzy wooden firing platforms. I would show these but again I'm waiting on suitable bases for the naval ratings in skirmish order who accompany the gun crews. They will be along shortly, a bit like buses...


16 comments:

  1. Great looking artillery David and I always really like the look of limbers!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had quite forgotten how splendid they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'd quite forgotten them, we can agree there.

      Delete
  3. Great figures,very colourful,a striking contrast to the Russian uniforms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid looking guns, crews and limbers there David:). I like the sound of the very big guns on wooden platforms, so look forward to seeing those in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your patience will be rewarded in due course!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh, I will take that all day, thank you!

      Delete
  6. Cracking work as always David…
    Of course one of these fine fellows should represent my Great Great Grandfather… I suspect it will be one of the shorter figures 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd known I'd have found a figure especially.

      Delete
  7. Splended looking work there once again Dave. Very inspiring to see how well this collection in coming togeter... limbers, cassions & wagons always add so much to the look of a game! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree there, extras always help the look of the game.

      Delete