David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 12 June 2023

Coerls

For some light relief I have been painting some Saxon Coerls for my '1066 & All That' project. These are Wargames Foundry of course, sculpted by Matt Bickley early in his career. I started this collection not long after they were first released back in the day and if I recall rightly this is the fourth basing scheme I've used for them. Rebasing, one of the underated joys of the hobby giving the wargamer new units without having to paint more figures! I've already shown the two figures I used for a skirmish base, but in case you missed it, here it is ~

Skirmish bases are a new development for my Dark Age collection as we have moved from Neil Thomas's Ancient and Medieval Wargames rules to Hail Caesar following the release of the second edition.
When the figures were laid out on the tabletop battlefield in GHQ I thought I might add some so I ordered two packs of Saxon figures to populate a base of Coerls. In our games a unit can be represented by one base, or two skirmish bases, though as I almost inevitably add more that can evolve I'd guess! Anyway, here's the latest base of Saxons added to the game ~
Right now I'm painting some North Star Canadian Militia I picked up at Partizan. The figures are simple and cleanly cast so they seem to like the brush and suit my geriatric-in-waiting painting talents!

9 comments:

  1. Fine looking Coerlists you have there Mr. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you did there...πŸ§₯πŸšͺ

      Delete
  2. Nicely done David, particularly like the bases which are very neat but I’m not a fan of those wire spears, I find if you catch one they have a tendency to pop off ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop off, your lucky then they just impale meπŸ™‚

      Delete
    2. Thanks Matt. Popping off is easier to deal with them constant bending/snapping of overscale spears, pikes, staffs etc. As to impaling; been there, done that, got the scars!

      Delete
  3. A nice looking unit David…
    They should slow the Norman cavalry down for a couple of seconds…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete