David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 23 June 2023

Half a League onward?

Well, not yet I have to confess but the project is coming together slowly. As I mentioned in an earlier entry I had a Crimean War collection back in the day. I sold the French element on to Dave Imrie I recall, while the Russians and British I traded away in a deal fraught with issues I'll just skate over if noone minds. So, I wanted to go on painting for mental health and enjoyment but didn't want to go on adding to already overlarge collections. Solution? Start a new project instead. I've done this on several occasions before, in fact my SYW project is featuring in the new issue of Wargames Illustrated. I did consider the Peninsular War but in the end I plumped for revisiting the Crimean War. I thought I'd give the Foundry range a miss as I'd done them before and chose Great War Miniatures from North Star in preference. Then I spied some of the same at Colonel Bill's, ordered and we were off! Twenty-four Highland infantry and seven Coldstream Guards ~

In the meantime I'd ordered what I hoped would give me the bones of two forces from North Star and within the week they duly arrived ~
So, I started to sort them out and clean up a couple of infantry units a side and some guns and crew. Some Russian infantry first of course ~

Russian infantry seems to have deployed into three ranks when in line compared to the British two rank formation. I want to recreate this in the figure bases and this is my first layout attempt. Remembering that Russian infantry tactics favoured the column I thought 80*60mm bases would work well to give a real sense of depth and solidity to the column. They'll need to be 3mm rather than my usual 2mm thickness and an order is already winging it's way from my go to supplier at Warbases!
Then, out of the blue, I got an email from chum Colin Ashton asking if I'd like some surplus figures he had. Of course I said yes and the next day they duly arrived on the doormat ~
I've had a brief look through and have identified many usable figures including Highland Command figures, Russian Dragoons, two 12lb Russian guns and crew ( by Warlord), and several British infantry in shako advancing. Other useful figures are there too and I'd hope to work those in as the project evolved and develops. In the meantime I've painted a few test figures from the Scots Fusilier Guard ~
The next figures are already underway and I'd hope to have them finished over the weekend ready for their proper bases of 80*50*3mm to arrive.

12 comments:

  1. Off to a flying start there Mr. B with some fine looking boys in red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow David jumping in with both feet. Since your announcement I have been avidly watching Crimea documentaries and even watched the Charge of the light brigade. An interesting idea but not for me just now….?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay with the Crump of India idea, more scope there for the imagination!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It will be a marathon, not a sprint though...

      Delete
  4. Slowly David, don't believe it. A good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as brisk as I used to be though. Three more finished this morning, 2 almost done, 3 more fixed to MDF hexes ready to start tomorrow. Busy on chores today though.

      Delete
  5. Looking good David…
    Obviously I’m going to say that the Scots Fusilier Guards are an excellent start…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a start. First base of 8 figures are now completed ready for texturing in due course.

      Delete
  6. A good start there David. In 'A' level English Lit they played us a recording of Tennyson reciting his poem, which was interesting. The whole 'onward' bit had a feeling of remorseless advance as the cavalry galloped forward. Lots of Crimean stuff seems to be going on at present, which is good to see. Time to read Asquith's book of scenarios...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remorseless sounds how my painting will need to be, only 12 finished so far...

    ReplyDelete