David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 17 May 2023

Well,Well,Well.

Or rather just one Well. It's the Grand Manner 'Colonial Village Covered Well' which I must have bought sometime last year in one of Dave's periodic raw resin sales. I do like his pieces and have a number of them as scenic ephemera for various periods but do think them on the steep side of 'ouch!' for pricing. 

As a part of my break from painting SYW figures and given that GHQ is set up for a second F&IW game this week I thought I'd rescue this from its place amongst the Lead Pimple and get it painted. Like all Grand Manner pieces it looks a tad on the large side when you are painting it, but in situ it fits in just fine as I hope you'll see from the photos. So, waffling over, here it is ~

I chose to paint it in a warm sandstone colour, using the Foundry Rich Butternut triad. The woodwork is Spearshaft Shade washed with Brown Leather armour wash.




A couple of in situ pictures follow on now with 28mm Foundry figures dotted about for effect and to give a better sense of 'scale' ~
Firstly, a closer view of the well with two figures in close conversation.
I think the piece fits in quite well with my scratch built and Warbases buildings and scales well with the 28mm figures too. Sadly it seems that Grand Manner may be closing as I have heard that  Dave may be finally retiring. Let's hope they may re-emerge later in the year perhaps...



18 comments:

  1. A very well turned out piece there Dave, you should be well pleased. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Prize for the first non pun comment goes to...✉️

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking piece. I'll definitely be using that Foundry paint triad for some Scottish red sandstone buildings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy, I'm glad the post helped you choose a colour for your buildings.

      Delete
  4. Well painted! Well priced! Well done! Absolutely 😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Getting harder these puns, aren't they?

      Delete
  6. Well why not…
    It’s a nice little model David… a well-come addition to your collection…
    I’ll get my coat 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice piece to add to your wonderful scatter terrain David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fine addition to your terrain collection David:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ, as always much appreciated.

      Delete