David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 21 May 2023

Personal Partizan Perusals

Phil and I have been over to Newark Showground in the East Midlands for the much anticipated Partizan wargames show, nay, extravaganza. 

I have taken random photos of aspects of games which pleased me, no mean task this in what is beyond a shadow of a doubt the very pinnacle of historical wargames events. A large and airy venue, acres of free parking, the hobby's leading traders and the very best of games both participation and display. Without more ado my take on the visual extravaganza on offer to the visitor for in my case as on OAP the laughable sum of £2.00, about the price of a tube of Pringles! My preferences for visual appeal in games can be enjoyed in the following pictures I offer for your viewing. Games in 28mm, 20mm, 15mm & smaller still were on display, not to mention the many crowded Participation games, the Societies and the Authors' Corner ~

On the downside the continued lack of 'rest seating' remains for me the biggest criticism of shows in general. The main casualties of the day being my wallet and then my...

At almost 73 I would welcome somewhere to sit and rest for a spell without intruding on my friends and their game. (Thank you anyway Kevin and Peter. See you at Claymore!)

Finally, as I mentioned my wallet in the butcher's bill, my swag from the day ~

Oh, and a copy of Sharp Practice & Card Pack for Paul!


20 comments:

  1. Fine show recap. Hopefully your wallet and feet will recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, despite age related feet issues of course. Still by far the best Show on the calendar.

      Delete
  3. David …. “ extravaganza” Exactly this! There was so much to like and I would echo two of your thoughts (1) good scale diversity on the tables, the first show that I can recall that anyone in 15mm or less could go to and get a lot from it (2), yes, just somewhere to spend 5 minutes resting for weary joints would be more welcome at ALL shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great set of pictures there Dave... so much to see and do! And, an excellent hawl of swag there into the bargain! Looking through the splended pictures though, I think you really aught to do a tiger base for Pendawar!
    Looks like you both had a grand day... enjoy your well erned rest! 🤭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, much appreciated. You will see I have such a base in next month's game.

      Delete
  5. A jolly day out indeed David…
    It was good to see you and Phil …
    There were certainly lots of lovely games and I let my butterfly fly free…😁
    You are of course correct.. an area… a quiet one… to sit for a while would be the business…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have a natter and put the hobby to rights! Who am I to call out anyone's butterfly moments?

      Delete
  6. Nice photo recap of a busy day. I would agree that most conventions could use a 'save the dogs' area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your support and encouragement, much valued. It seems seating is an issue which organisers surely can't go on ignoring?

      Delete
  7. Nicely done David…..you bought loads of stuff so I don’t feel too guilty with my purchases now. I agree plenty of inspirational games to look at and enjoy 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we had a chance to chat yesterday Matt. Your purchases seem bang on for your current focus, so well done there!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you had a fine day out David and as always lots of games to inspire etc. Great to see a good mix of scales and table sizes too. Given the space at the show, they could surely provide plenty of seating outside, so one can re-charge the batteries/feet before entering the fray again? At least at Colours there is plenty of seating over looking the racecourse, which most punters take advantage of at some point or other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ, your comments always appreciated. Aging wargamers population wanting a Rest Seating Areas seem to me to be an elephant in the room issue.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Indeed it was, though I missed meeting you despite clocking your companions several times.

      Delete
  10. Hi, was a great show. Seating tip for next one, load of chairs by one of the exits, in the right hand corner, after Caliver Books, able to borrow one and sit in the sunshine with a canny lad from the Leeds display game. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, could count on a Burrower to sort some temporary seating. I do still think rest zones are needed though. Could easily loose a few games I think without detracting from show overall

      Delete