David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 7 September 2020

'Hanibal Bicca'

 An alternate Command base for my Carthaginian army comprising the Crusader Miniatures mounted Hanibal figure and two Carthaginian Veteran officers from the Aventine Miniatures range, which Keith very generously provided for me recently ~


Add caption

With these completed its back to the second base of Veteran Infantry. The figures are not difficult to paint I've found, but I have had issues with the two available sheets of LBM shield transfers. They are each a mix of six designs for hoplons and six for Scuta, where I would have preferred 12 designs for one shield type and perhaps two sheets of each type to give more variety. Perhaps I'm being too picky, but it's what I'd like to see.

When I manage to complete the second unit of Hanibal's Veterans I plan to paint up a base of archers to bring that arm up to three bases. I've cleaned up and spray undercoated the unit of Crusader Miniatures Spanish Scutari to work on after those are done. I still hope to complete the project before the end of the year, but looking at my productivity over past weeks it will be a close call.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ, I am plodding on as best I can.

      Delete
  2. The command base turned out nicely David. Looking forward to seeing the archers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely command stand David...

    I am with you on the mixed transfer sheets... I much prefer sets of the same type...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We agree, I'm pleased to note. Perhaps LBM will take note.

      Delete
  4. A further fine addition to the rapidly expanding armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta! Enjoyed yesterday's game by the by, despite the result.

      Delete
  5. Well David you are cracking these off.Not bad for a wargames veteran. I use that term as a good thing by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We veterans can show the younger folk a thing or two, as your blog frequently testifies.

      Delete
  6. Nice David, by coincidence I have just passed the Punic War in my Roman Army book. The Romans could call on 700,000 infantry and 70,000 cavalry supposedly with allies, no wonder Hannibal couldn't win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well George, with me in command of the Carthaginian army there is little danger of history being overturned on my current form!

      Delete