David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 1 September 2020

Twixt the mountains and the sea

For reasons which will become clear later the West Africa Coast had to be quickly transformed to the Old West for today's game. The town and the associated figure collection had not been out for several years since GHQ relocated. On top of this Phil had a set of skirmish rules based on Neil Thomas's Introduction to Wargaming which he wanted to try out. Two happy coincidences coming together for a light hearted bash in GHQ! Firstly, the town of New Paddock City ~
My group of eight figures represented the good guys, the town Marshall, his Deputies and a posse of townsfolk. Phil as El Loco lead the bad guys. As the home team I disposed my group of figures to cover a number of possible options for El Loco's men to enter the town. Phil wrong footed me by choosing only one entry point!
 First blood to the good guys! One Bandito goes down to the blast of both barrells!
 As I said though, El Loco's men have the local advantage outside the Undertakers, 4 to 2 infact. A hail of lead and the first of my chaps is ready for a wooden overcoat!
 Using Bolt Action dice to determine the order of figure actions meant I really needed a bit of luck. Well, you know me and the dice gods by now. I have three men down now! One more and morale checks would kick in.
 While El Loco and his henchmen dash towards cover by the photographer's I ponder my next move carefully from the window of Arkwright's store.
 I decide to step outside quietly and get a shot off at El Loco. I miss! Again! Meanwhile, two of El Loco's henchmen have crept up behind me. It looks like another one way ride to Boot Hill!
 Of course I should have known Phil would oblige! They miss and we break for lunch!
  On the restart our hero has reached the scene of the action. He fires off four shots in rapid succession but clearly his aim is affected. Perhaps his overlarge white hat has slipped over his eyes?
One shot though is all it takes and El Loco bites the dust! An immediate morale test is called for on the remaining Mexican Banditos! All but one oblige by skeddadling leaving only Juan to fight it out.
 His dice is first out in Turn 7 and he gets off two rifle shots at Our Hero, who now has only one wound marker remaining. Given my dice luck of late I might still loose this. I needn't have fretted, Juan goes down in a hail of lead and the good guys triumph! Well, it is the Old West of cheap pulp literature and Hollywood after all.
Great fun and rules that both have legs and will stand some tinkering! But now the real reason why I chose a Western Gunfight game today.
William is really keen and always ready to try a game. He'd discovered the cowboys in their storage draw and I'd promised him we'd have a game before he started back to school. He won of course...

14 comments:

  1. A great couple of hours fun, doing some tweaks right now. Will not get carried away though and lose the flavour of Neil's rules.
    William is a real Billy the Kid well done Will you did better than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tweak Ye Creatively! Matt tells me that Reuben is keen too.

      Delete
  2. This is great! I have a young grandson age seven and we are embarking upon building Star Wars Legion armies for play. His eyes my 'toys' every time he comes down into the game room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pass on the torch! It's all we can try to do.

      Delete
  3. Great to see you both having fun, which is what it should all be about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see the baton being passed down David - well done. My grand kids are also showing a keen interest in grand dad's war room and his toys. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, I hope to sow the seeds of enthusiasm.

      Delete
  5. Good to see a skirmish at GHQ, although I,ve never collected cowboys etc...👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've never collected cowboys? What an admittion! Plenty of time to put that right...

      Delete
  6. Great looking cowboy game and nice to see another gamer starting up!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I'm doing what I can to foster an interest in all of the grandchildren.

      Delete
  7. What a fun looking game David...
    And getting the youngsters involved...nice one.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete