David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 20 September 2020

Carry on Covid!

 Staring Sid James as Boris 'BoJo' Johnson, Bernard Breslaw as Dominic Cummings, Charles Hawtry as Rishi Sunak, Hattie Jacques as Pritti Patel and so on... Well, at least judging from the outside the current bunch of clowns supposedly in charge might as well be replaced by a bunch of comedians!

Now Wolverhampton has joined much of the Midlands and the North in more restrictions on our freedoms. From Tuesday no mixing with other households in your home or garden! But, you can go to the pub with 100 or so strangers, shops stay open, as do schools, and you must go to work if you can! Frankly I don't think you could make this up if you tried!

Of course all this puts the mockers on gaming face to face again with Phil and Jon. My thoughts on solo games I've shared with you before, so that looks like it in GHQ for a while at least. Meanwhile I'll plod on as and when with painting figures for my Punic Wars project. At present I'm tackling 20 Spanish Scutari by Crusader Miniatures. Not the most inspiring sculpts I have to confess, though more interesting than the 24 Celtiberian figures looming in the painting queue.

For those interested in such things my Punic Wars project gets an airing in the new issue of Wargames Illustrated I believe in the 'What gamers are working on' style pieces started in the Bitesize editions during 'Lockdown Mk1'! If nothing else it may serve to show what even an average painter like my good self can aspire too given the right figures to suit your painting style and the lovely shield transfers from LBM. 

16 comments:

  1. Frustrating times indee, we managed another big game in the garden which feels safe enough but the weather is now turning ? Of course the advantage disadvantage is so much of my time is taken with work, but as long as I have a few figures to progress it’s good. Look forward to seeing the Punic project in press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all normality as my generation understand it now rests on a vaccine.

      Delete
  2. I note the news today that New Zealand have done a great job in containing the virus - We (in the UK) could certainly learn something from them.

    Looking forward to seeing your figures in the next WI, I will grab the issue as soon as it comes out because it has a Blore Heath scenario for the Billhooks rules.

    Discovered the LBM transfers just a few days ago ........ why, why, why was I so late to that party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The transfers from LBM cover a multitude of errors in figure painting I've found by drawing in the eye

      Delete
  3. Given the amount of people I saw without masks today when they really should have been wearing them, sadly it doesn't surpise that another lockdown of some form is in the offing. As for not being able to meet up in another house or garden, yet you can do in a pub or restaurant, makes no sense at all, other than keeping the businesses going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of it hangs together really, but that's what you get when you vote in liars, charletans and crooks!

      Delete
  4. Being a sad soul who is tucked up in bed before 10pm, Ive started yet again delving into my many Wargames Illustrated and keep seeing your name plastered over numerous articles. Its no wonder you and your long suffering wife are able to enjoy frequent lunches etc given the fact you were/ are a professional wargaming writer.Will enjoy reading about your ancient project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More to do with proper pensions than writing income. If Dan read that he'd be having a quiet chortle I'd guess.

      Delete
  5. Mr.B! Keep calm and get some more painting done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calm? I'm the personification of serenity as you well know, but even have limits when dealing with idiots!

      Delete
    2. I seem to remember you saying...
      “ there’s no point in being stupid if you don’t show it”
      Boris is clearly following your excellent advice 🤪

      Delete
    3. One of many sayings inherited from my late father. When considering my decorating he'd often remark that "A blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it!" Could easily apply to some of my figure painting too!

      Delete
  6. I like your lamps David...

    As to the government... and I use that term loosely...
    I suspect Sid James et all could do a better job... and still be entertaining...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lamps from Hobbycraft, LED Daylight lamps. Given good service over the last few years.£20 each if I recall.

      Delete
  7. What can one do but "Carry On Regardless" or "Carry On Don't Lose Your Head" or should that be mind?

    ReplyDelete