David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 28 September 2023

The First of the Rebased Prodigal Foundry Roosians

Over the past several eons, or so it seemed at the time, I've been rebasing some of the Foundry Roosian infantry battalions to harmonize the old with the new for tabletop battles. Just on the off chance that anyone has just lighted on the blog here are some of the recent Great War Miniatures Roosians on their 3mm thick 80x60mm bases ~


When the Prodigal Collection was unexpectedly returned to me by Jon this is how I'd based them back in the early 1980's when I'd first collected and painted them ~
They were based on 40x40mm card bases with texture provided by filler which was then painted with Brown, Yellow and Green washes of Plaka acrylic paints. In the picture here I'd been trying to rearrange the existing bases to see what I could make up into the new style of basing. In the photo below you can see the first stage in the rebasing process, with the de-based figures glued to the new 3mm thick 80x60mm bases from Warbases ~
The next stage in the process was to glue on some larger Woodlands Scenics Buff rocks with UHU to break up the otherwise flat look and then to texture all the bases with the Woodlands Scenics Buff Ballast mix I use nowadays. When that had dried overnight then the bases were treated to a wash of Crafter's Acrylics Country Maple as the next picture shows ~
I generally leave the newly washed bases for a day before the next stage, which is the application of static grass and a few larger tufts to taste. Basing is a very personal choice when it comes to finished look. I'm in the less-is-more camp, using a mix of Jarvis Summer and Spring static grass, augmented by plain grass tufts in two sizes and shades of green and weeds also in two shades of green. These latter are Gamers' Grass products which I source from Great Escape Games. 
One issue I needed to resolve was the flags for the four Battalions. When they were returned the sported the GMB Design flags you see in the picture, while my new units sport those from North Star and differ in both size and intensity of colours. I have partially resolved this issue by popping the flags off the figures and reallocating them to the new formations. It gives me one Grenadier battalion and three Line Infantry battalions, but I am short of one common plain Line Infantry flag as it stands ~
The finished bases after grass and tufting seem to me, if to noone else, to draw the two ranges of figures together when viewed at tabletop battlefield distance {in the above picture}. Closer pictures clearly show my old, darker painting style, but again at tabletop distance in the heat of the game I doubt it will bother us ~



The figures and bases just need a spray of matt varnish now, plus the flag of course, and they can muster into GHQ. By the by, next on the rebasing front for any interested readers will be the Prodigal Foundry Collection artillery for both armies.



17 comments:

  1. Always like the look of big bases and this is no exception!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make for more of the vignette style layout I've found.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done David they can now return to battle once more πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Russians look great,nice and deep formations making a very formidable body of troops.
    And,as always,the basing is spot on

    ReplyDelete
  4. They work a treat David…
    The basing brings them all nicely together…
    You are fair tearing through these.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange thing perception; I feel I'm making less progress than I'd like.

      Delete
  5. Well, they'll do rather nicely methinks πŸ‘ŠπŸ’₯

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting post. I'm intrigued by the way the figures are all glued down before the bases are covered. I must work more messily as I often do the texturing around the front rank before adding the second rank of figures reducing the chance of getting gunk [not a technical term] on the figures' feet or legs while working on the area which will be between the two ranks. Probably another reason why it takes me longer than most to finsih anything.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own of course Stephen. Where figures are close together, like my ECW collection, or have large shields, Republican, Carthaginian and Late Roman, then I've done it row by row too. Here it was easy to work the PVA around the figure bases then dip in the mixture and jobs done.

      Delete
  7. Moving along at great speed, looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George! Sorry not to have popped in, but you know how things go...

      Delete
  8. The re-basing has certainly made such a difference to the appearence of the older stock! Draws everything together very nicely indeed! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems my basing is doing the job I hoped. Just so much more to tackle though is daunting.

      Delete
  9. Well they look really good re-based David and when on the table and during the heat of the battle, I'm sure you'll forget the slight differences in painting styles.

    ReplyDelete