David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 12 December 2019

Canadian Volunteers for the War of 1812-15

As I plodded on with painting new units for the War of 1812-15 expansion project I reached another unit of US Militia from Foundry. Having already painted these originally as troops from Pennsylvania and more recently as New York Militia I sought out a different colour scheme for this unit. In the end I settled on the Canadian Volunteers, a unit in the US army made up of volunteers from Canada ~
You can read about them here if you are interested ~
http://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2018/08/canadian-volunteers-1813-14.html

I chose a mixture of uniform coats, the earlier brown mixed with the later grey issue. The round hats are usually shown with a green band wrapped around the lower part, but with none molded on the figure my eyes and hand were not up to freestyle painting them on, so I've omitted it. The officer I chose to depict in regulation early war uniform and chapeau just because I had the figure in the lead pimple. I swapped the head on the drummer for one from a surplus militia figure just to maintain the look of the unit ~


The unit in reality was not battalion strength, but hey-ho it's my game with my toys so why not? Now these are done it just leaves the Knuckleduster Canadian Militia in round hats and a unit of US Regulars in the 1813 issue leather tombstone shako. Currently Foundry don't offer any officers to match these, but hopefully they will appear as part of the rediscovered lost molds along with the US Artillerymen in summer dress. I wonder what else Aly made in the later war dress? Time will tell perhaps...

Finally I've taken the plunge and ordered some Brigade Games figures to round off the expansion, at least for now: two units of US Militia, one marching and one skirmishing, and a unit of Canadian Volitgeurs. The figures are sculpted by Paul Hicks I believe, not my favourite exponent of the art, but decent enough on the whole. I hope they will arrive in time for Christmas!

20 comments:

  1. Very nice looking regiment David.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking unit of treacherous Canadians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You win the prize as first one to mention the hats!😉

      Delete
  4. Lovely stuff, you'll soon have this at 1:1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like it when I view the painting queue!

      Delete
  5. Very nice David...
    They were indeed considered a rum and untrustworthy lot...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly, much appreciated.
      By the way, do you recall what you made that's not currently available?

      Delete
    2. To be quite honest David... I thought that they had stopped producing them ... until you started posting all your new additions...

      I will have a look and see what I can remember.

      Delete
    3. I'm interested to hear your conclusion, I have several figures not in the current web catalogue.

      Delete
  6. Nice work on an unusual unit, David!

    ReplyDelete