David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 12 October 2021

The 3rd Arkansas, Hood's Texas Brigade

 The latest unit to pass across my Painting Desk from the Lead Pimple and find its place in GHQ is yet another addition to my largest collection, the ACW,  the 3rd Arkansas of Hood's famed Texas Brigade. The figures of course are from Dixon Miniatures, long my favourite manufacturer of ACW figures, though the mail order service remains stubbornly on the slow side in my opinion. I chose charging poses for this unit, hopefully giving the look and feeling of the 'Rebel Yell' to the unit! You can judge for yourselves if it has proved successful anyway ~

I've one further Rebel infantry unit left to paint, the 18th Georgia also of Hood's famed Texas Brigade, and then the extra figures just arrived to utilise in enhancing the look of the Rebs' deployed limbers, as I recently did similarly for the Union's limbers. 

As I manfully resisted the urge to buy any new figures at the recent The Other Partizan show my Lead Pimple remains relatively small, for now at least. Next up some SYW French Gendarmes I'd think, on the grounds that I've already painted their faces!

22 comments:

  1. All looking suitably rebellious, delivering some cold steel to the Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! Hope to see you next Tuesday now!

      Delete
  2. I think the charging pose gives a nice feel of a 'Rebel Yell' advance. Always good to see a mix of poses on the table IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve my choices SteveJ and agree they capture the feel of the 'Rebel Yell' which I'd hoped to convey.

      Delete
  3. I have the brigade for 1863, always fights well. Nice regiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely dynamic looking rebs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dixons do have lovely character. In my mind, I put these with Hovel buildings as having the genuine wargame look. Heart warming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebellions looking rascals indeed David…
    A fine looking unit…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly! Much appreciated! How's the 1812 War project shaping up?

      Delete
  7. Characterful and gorgeous figures, great job David!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look of them Mr.B. They appear to have their dander up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys' dander is definitely on the rise I'd say!

      Delete
  9. Love their facial expressions David. Another fine confederate regiment to grace your gaming table.

    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another nice unit to join the rebellion 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the positive response Matt. The 18th Ga are well underway now too.

      Delete
  11. They look great David! Nice to see the 3rd Arkansas. I've painted a regiment of them myself, also with Dixon in my attempt to build Hood's Texas Brigade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, all encouragement appreciated.

      Delete