David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 23 October 2021

The 18th Georgia

 Another Reb infantry regiment musters into service in GHQ in the form of the 18th Georgia infantry, another regiment which also served at one point in Hood's famed Texas Brigade. 

The figures of course are by Dixon Miniatures, the flags from both GMB Designs and Flags of War, and the bases as ever from Warbases.

 I've just half a dozen or so ACW figures left in the Lead Pimple now. I'm adding some command figures to my deployed limbers bases to boost the look on the table, as I recently did for their Union counterparts, an a couple of dismounted cavalry troopers to pad out one of my cavalry regiments. With those the ACW will be rested while my attention turns to some SYW additions for my French army.

16 comments:

  1. Eek! They have lost their officer already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I anticipate a lot of 1's from this lot.

      Delete
    2. No, they'll probably just spend the games Disordered đŸ˜•

      Delete
  2. Lovely and the casualty command stand add good impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, glad someone else appreciates a bit of drama in a unit.

      Delete
  3. Splendid stuff David…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly, your ongoing support is much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Another great unit David and the falling officer is a nice touch, as are the variety of hats on show. Always good to have something a bit different on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ! Dixon Miniatures lend themselves to the dramatic look I think, it's a much underappreciated range I find

      Delete
  5. Very nice Dave. As always....inspiring!
    Just wondering what you are using to texture your bases nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, very kind. For the ACW figures I'm still using Dried Earth Basetex, to keep the who collection uniform. For everything else I use a mixture of Woodlands Scenics ballast, Fine, Medium and Large; usually Buff, which I wash either GW Graveyard Earth/Steel Legion Drab or Artist's Acrylic Country Maple.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the reply Dave, some nice ideas there. As you say, trying to keep the same uniform appearence throughout a collection is the main concideration.
    I ran out of actual basetex some time ago, and, finding colour party difficult to order from, resorted to creating my own concoction from pre-mixed filler, pva & basic artists acrylic umber, with some fine ballasting sand and gravel thrown in. Watered down to the required consistancy. Found it to be suprisingly successfull. Keeps well in an old basetex jar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what I like to see! ACW and Dixon minis a great combination.

    ReplyDelete