David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 10 October 2021

The Other Partizan in Pictures

The much anticipated Return for the Masked Wargamer! A smorgasbord of gaming goodness now in the form of pictures of games which impressed me after the last 19 months hiatus.
The Iron Brigade's wonderful Pacific Island assault game.

The Bodkins' Medieval game. Painting I could only dream of!
WWII with newsreel movies in the theatre!
Lots of elephants in a spectacular Ancient game!




Amazing C18th game by Friends of a Military Gentleman, so much going on I could have studied it for an hour on its own!

54mm Plastic Ancients game, with elephants and camels!
Close up of an elephant model from the same game.

French & Indian Wars game. Lots of super details on view.
Vikings! 

WWII games were much in evidence I thought. An ever popular period amongst gamers.


I so enjoyed seeing the wonderful painting and modelling skills on display in all the games, but this by Shrewsbury Wargames Society was full of detail.
Medieval Spain! A riot of colour!

George's Last Stand I'd think.


War of the Triple Alliance by the Perry twins, Alan and Michael, showcasing their companies range of figures for the conflict.
A very busy show, so much so that I missed speaking to several chums. Sorry chaps! Very many folks not sporting masks, despite the organisers' pleas. Poor show by the hobby that. I found it very tiring and was very anxious at times I have to say. Good to do something near normal though! Overall? A Grand Day Out! Cracking Show Wallace!
 

30 comments:

  1. It was a very enjoyable show and like you ran out of time, and yes also dissapointed about lack of mask in some areas,I thought it was compulsory as was proof of a flow test upon entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An anxious few days now, just in case...

      Delete
  2. A lot of wonderful games on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many top hole display games. These are just a few of them!

      Delete
  3. Lovely shots David, thanks. I think yours are the first up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, many more to come I'd hope from others.

      Delete
  4. How on earth did I miss you David, oh wait was it you hiding behind the trade stands? It was quite a show wasnt it? I thought the games were quality and a lovely way to spend a bright Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry we missed each other Robbie, put it down to my anxiety and shortish stay.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the pics David. I've just got back home and will post mine and show impressions tomorrow. I wore a mask all day once the punters were allowed in and I must say it was pretty exhausting, but better than catching Covid. As you say, very few mask in evidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for you, but on the wrong game! Doh! Looking forward to your take on the games and the show!

      Delete
  6. Looks like the show has as Normal attracted the most wonderful games 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the very pinnacle of gaming excellence in my opinion, far outperforming that bash in London!

      Delete
  7. Great photos David. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, hope you enjoyed the viewing.

      Delete
  8. Great inspiration, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We must have passed like ships in the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to think of us missing each other really, not sure I thought you'd be there so may just not have clocked you in the hubbub.

      Delete
  10. Some lovely looking games David…
    I’m glad you had a good day…
    I am surprised how few people are wearing masks…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The non masking shocked me really, but we did our bit and must cross our fingers now! It was simply wonderful just to be there again and see such wonderful games and meet many friends, less those with medical peculiarities of course...🤞

      Delete
  11. A grand day out indeed and a splendid show, I must admit to being a little overawed by it all. So much games goodness on display I failed to take any photos. I too found it disappointing how few folk were masked, despite the discomfort (for some reason they make my nose run and my mouth dry) I wore mine and took a flow test. Can I say that I walked round feeling quite superior? A big thank you to everyone involved with the show, organizers, traders and fellow wargamers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say Phil, slightly overawing really after so long an absence. Thanks for taking me along, especially in the circumstances. See you soon in GHQ I hope!

      Delete
    2. As a great many gamers who attend shows seem unable to bathe I feel that expecting them to wear a mask was a little optimistic.

      Delete
  12. Thank you David for sharing your photos of your visit. I do love the camp scene in one of these photos shown above. Overall, a very high standard of games on show after a long period of hiatus. Thank you again David and I do hope all goes well for the future.

    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have entertained you for a few minutes. It was a bit overwhelming after such a long break. There were very many more equally wonderful games on show.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing Mr.B. Some very nice games on show. Let's hope no one has shared anything with You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As friends go you can be pretty depressing you know, harping on like this😕

      Delete
  14. Lots of great looking games. I was just thinking that Iron Brigade island could pull double duty. For a ultra modern "what if" battle between PLA defenders vs US/Australian/Japanese Marine's trying to knock out some Anti-shiping/air batteries. Or maybe a SOF force raid with the same idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many other games I didn't photograph though...

      Delete