David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 23 February 2021

“The heat, the flies, the Pendawar trots...”

 I only expect to have three figures on the bases of artillery for the E.I.C. Army of Pendawar being planned for this project, which leaves me two spare figures to utilize on vignette bases to improve the look of the game. As I had a spare water-wallah painted up already I chose a suitably hot and bothered looking figure from the gunners and painted him up as a test piece ~

Both figures are from the Perry Miniatures' Napoleonic British in Egypt range. The gunner from the set depicted in Mother Shipton hats and sculpted in firing poses. {If I need more guns I can supplement these with the guns and crew from my FRW British & Allied army.}

Like most of my painting efforts in present circumstances they look fine on the table at gaming distance, but closer examination reveals all manner of small issues attributable to eye and hand issues. Now, I've touched on this too many times really, but I do think too many wargamers worry overmuch when comparing their own style, standard and output with what can be found in magazines and via the internet. I'm firmly in the wargamer who paints' category rather than the wargames figure painter who may, or may not, occasionally game! I'm also not in the current trend of bijou games in a box/fifty figures is an army approach either. So, I view my efforts in that context, as I'm pretty sure regular visitors to and commentators on my blog do. 

Meanwhile, I'm half way through the 3rd Pendawar NI battalion as well as splashing base colours on a mounted Artillery command figure and gunner, along with two mounted generals who will form the Army of Pendawar overall command base. In the meantime, amidst all this coronavirus malarky, vaccination roll out and Road Map exit confusion do keep safe and well.

22 comments:

  1. A fine effort Mr.B. They look perfectly fine to me from 10 miles away ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! Perhaps that is the optimum distance to view my efforts?๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
  2. Brilliant little vignette. All your armies are splendidly painted and joy to be able to command on the table. The flies, the heat, the.............., the bill!๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, much appreciated, bar the reminder of the ongoing cost ..☹️

      Delete
  3. Inspired job, superb vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely vignette David...
    There is nothing wrong with your painting old cap... and your games are always a delight to view...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is more than kind Aly, you should come over for a game sometime.

      Delete
  5. Another lovely vignette David and I can't but help of thinking of Gunga Din when I see the water carrier. Your painting certainly passes muster as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the poetic reference and constant encouragement, much appreciated I assure you.

      Delete
  6. Nice work David and a nice matching of the two figures. If anybody moans just remind them of the considerable heat haze on the Indian continent. As for bijou skirmish games .....we might put that on the list for post lockdown pub discussions๐Ÿบ. As for face to face games I do hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel ๐Ÿคž

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, especially for the ideal answer to criticism! As to F2F games, I do hope you are right!๐Ÿ˜ท

      Delete
  7. You always seem to find interesting figures, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is not to rush into it I've found. Not always possible of course for any of us.

      Delete
  8. He sure does look like he's feeling the heat! Well done David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, as I hoped folk would see it.

      Delete
  9. Very simple and most effective. I will pinch the idea now thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the bill will be in the post ...๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  10. Any flaws are inapparent to me; I just see a very evocative vignette, well painted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely little duo that will add some panache to your games!

    ReplyDelete