David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 3 February 2021

A Test Figure

 For my new semi-imaginations project, which I've entitled Tales from Pendawar, I have done something I don't usually do even for a new venture. I've painted just one figure as a test piece, a Bombay Sepoy from Perry Miniatures' British figures in the Napoleon in Egypt range. After spending so long with bronze during the past eight months or so it seemed a prudent thing to do in order to break certain habits I may have acquired and to reset my painting techniques, particularly in respect of the sequence of colour application ~


When you see your own work enlarged, at least for me, it highlights all the faults you just don't notice either when painting or when gaming with them. I tend not to worry too much now myself, I've no pretention to be anything other than a 'wargamer who paints'. What I can say is that the flesh is lighter than it looks in the picture, but otherwise it's a decent image of the finished figure. Hand and eye, at over 70, are doing the best they can so it will have to do for me. I've three more underway to complete the first base, by which time I'd hope to have established the painting rythem for the E.I.C. Native Infantry. That in itself should then easily run into the two European battalions, one the Pendawar Fusiliers, the other the 38th Foot, the Staffordshire Regiment. We shall have to see... In the meantime another Sepoy battalion and a battalion of Bombay Grenadiers, together with two guns and crew for the E.I.C. are enroute from Perry Miniatures.

16 comments:

  1. Well done David. A really interesting period with some brilliant uniforms.Look forward to seeing the units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robbie, though it will be a while before I have much to show.

      Delete
  2. So it begins, stirring tales from Pendewar. Super start on the sepoy.
    INDIAN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent start David.

    I look forward to seeing the whole unit.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! It is good to add variety into your painting queue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work David. As a former professional modelmaker for a design company, photographs spare nothing but, when in the hand and in normal use, all the 'flaws' disappear. The same is true of our wargames soldiers and so now as long as they look good on the table, that's fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree SteveJ, too much angst about painting is no good thing.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to this David, I am establishing my own routine for EW Germans, good way to paint, for me at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, no doubt you will outperform me though!

      Delete
  7. One down ! He’ll look fine when he is lined up for battle with the rest of the regiment, you won’t see any perceived flaws at arms length. Part of the reason I use the ‘stain’ technique is it hides my poor painting ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four done now & four more plus their colonel underway!

      Delete
  8. He looks fine to me and will look even better en mass with his chums! We are often our own worst critics and need to give ourselves a break sometimes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete